Now Look What you Made Me Do!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

foursquare

The talents displayed on this site are awe inspiring and very motivating. The resource pages are just full of techniques that I am anxious to try. One such is the Scalloped Pen tutorial by Tim Spaulding. I decided I would give it a go using Walnut, and coloured veneer. Using this method results in a bunch of triangle shaped pieces with veneers glued into them that are left over. As I was making the blank, I decided that these were too nice to toss out, but I didn't know what I was going to do. Looking through the segmented pen post I saw lots of examples of great looking pens with brass in between the segments. I decided that this was a perfect solution to joining my leftover wedges, and it would give me a chance to learn another new skill. Both pens are pictured here.

Keith

Attachments

• _KM01237.jpg
    _KM01237.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 293
  • _KM01238.jpg
    _KM01238.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 278
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bats

Ooo... the first is nice (that pink is really eye-catching), but the second one I love. I don't suppose you have any shots of what the blank looked like on that one before turning?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This is one of the benefits of segmenting... This leads to this...leads to this... leads to this...! Your end pens - wonderful! Are they what you suspected you would end up with, maybe, maybe not, who cares! You followed your initial design, then materials, then what you had ava. for inspiration. Two winners!

KMCloonan

I really like the "carefree" look of the second pen - it has a beautiful randomness to it. I really like the brass dividers too. The first pen is also quite nice. I agree with Bats - the pink catches your eye. Well done on both!

foursquare

Ooo... the first is nice (that pink is really eye-catching), but the second one I love. I don't suppose you have any shots of what the blank looked like on that one before turning?
I'm sorry, I never thought to photograph the blank, but I think this will be one I do again - I have another 18 left over wedges. I will take some shots of the next one and post.

Joebobber

Great job! I love segmenting even though my bandsaw is terrible and my belt sander is litterally falling apart. Customers always comment on them and are really suprised at all the different things you can do with wood.

Top Bottom