Nova midi chuck on sale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

That is the "Tommy bar" version -- good chuck if you can make two levers work at the same time as you insert an object. I need 3 hands or much better coordination to make those work.

Outstanding price and with a set of pin jaws will do anything one wants to do on a midi lathe.

Robert Taylor

i have three of the nova's with tommy bars. two midi's and an original nova. once you learn to look at the position of the holes before you insert the bars you will operate this style of chuck much faster than the geared versions. i'm not that smart to have figured it out by myself. i learned from bobhamm5 on youtube.

i have three of the nova's with tommy bars. two midi's and an original nova. once you learn to look at the position of the holes before you insert the bars you will operate this style of chuck much faster than the geared versions. i'm not that smart to have figured it out by myself. i learned from bobhamm5 on youtube.

I sold my talon and now have 2 of the original oneway scroll chucks that operate with tommy bars. I much prefer them to the geared chuck.

1 handed operation is easier then with the geared chuck. (IMHO)

bitshird

I wonder if they are in round? I have a Barracuda CSC2000 that if you remove a bowl or ant thing else it won't go back the same, there is something wronf with the chuck on any of my 3 lathes with a Dial Test Indicator against the back of the chuck there is .o38 variance as it's rotated, you can see the stupid thing wobble on the spindle, so once you change a bowl you are screwed, it's as if the hole for the spindle were drilled at a slight angle and not perpendicular to the axis of the chuck. I'm getting a SN-2 Amazon had them for 130.00 + the adapter, 20.00 so for 150.00 with the 2 inch jaws and the screw, I hope I made a smart move.

Your chuck might be defective but you could try marking your chuck and the piece and then when you remount it line up the 2 marks and it should be good

PaulDoug

I always mark the chuck and wood if I remove something that I will want to re-install. Not because of the chuck so much but the wood will be different where the jaws press into it and you want to put is back in the same place you removed it. Did that make any sense?

That is a good chuck and a good price. I find the tommy bars a little more awkward compared to the key, but for that price, I can handle a little awkward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom