"No Bash" Wood Identification Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

It should come as no surprise to learn that the wood used in making this pen was Camphor. :)

This is one contest where I did not mind blatant hints, and I want to thank everyone who contributed those hints and to everyone who participated.

The first person to correctly identify the wood was Brian Garthwaite (Brian G). A total of 8 other people correctly guessed camphor, and they were entered into a random draw with numbers assigned in the order they submitted their guess. The winner of that random draw is Ken Burgess (KenB259). Brian and Ken each win a BOB from my personal stash of blanks. I will include a camphor pen blank in the BOBs.

As hinted, this was my entry in the Difficult to Write With contest for our 2016 BASH. I called it a Magnum Sierra since the bottle was shaped in the form of a 1.5 liter "Magnum" wine bottle. Here is the description that I posted with my entry that year. Nope, I didn't win anything -- not enough exposed sharp spikes. Thanks to all for playing.

Name of Pen: Magnum Sierra
Since a 1.5 liter bottle of wine is called a magnum, I decided to make a pen that would not only be difficult to write with, but would also be a difficult projectile to fire. Unless you have the hands of an NBA player, you pretty much need to hold this thing with both hands in order to write with it. I have no idea how you would load it into a rifle.
This is a closed-end Sierra pen with a 3-pound blank that started out as 16" long by 5" diameter camphor log. I shaped it into a Bordeaux-style magnum wine bottle with the front end of a chrome Sierra kit serving as a pour spout. The Sierra front end can be twisted in the normal manner to extend and retract the refill. The bottle is just over 4" in diameter and is 14" tall (without the Sierra topper).
There are no standards for magnum wine bottles, but the Bordeaux-style is commonly used. Bordeaux bottles are characterized by their long, straight sides, sharp shoulders and short neck. They are generally about 4" in diameter and 13-14" tall with a slight taper at the bottom and a shallow punt (concave recess in the bottom). I used the dimensions of the Gino Pinto 1.5 liter Bordeaux-style bottle as a guide. The actual diameter of my bottle is 4.3" because I wanted to preserve that bit of bark wood that you see on the front of the bottle as a natural "label".
:D:D:D There were some serious sick people in that contest. Remember it well.

Top Bottom