Nice result for a busy weekend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

I had a busy weekend making Christmas presents (even though they are going to be late). Some interesting results with these. Still some details to work on, but I'm generally happy with these.
1220210637.jpg

These are all going to couples, so the theme is 'His / Hers'. The middle four are designs I've done before using maple and jatoba with a thin metal separator. The ones on the ends are kind of special though.

1220210638.jpg

These are the first wood inlays I've done. These are black walnut and maple half Celtic knots. A couple little issues with the maple inserts, but overall I'm happy with them. I discovered that black walnut is difficult to turn as it is hard and brittle. It tends to chatter a lot and I was very concerned with possible tearout in the inlay area, so it took a while to turn this one.

1220210637_HDR.jpg

This pair is Bethlehem Olive and black walnut, and are for my father-in-law who is a semi-retired pastor, and his wife. I have to say, the olive is very nice looking with great grain and a deep, rich color. It turned very nicely.

The plastic cases were through Amazon and were about $8 or so for 15 cases. While I wanted to make wood cases for these, the schedule just didn't cooperate, so this was the next best option to protect them during shipping and make a reasonable presentation. Next year though ...

Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

Beautiful pens. Are they the PSI designers? I love that kit.

Seven
You know your pen kits! Yes, they are PSI Designer Twist kits. I don't have much experience with too many different kits, but I agree with you that these are nice. I like the larger size than the slimlines, as they give you more material to play with and they feel more substantial.

For this set of pens, I got the assortment with 3 each of the gold, gunmetal, chrome and satin kits. I'm finding myself partial to the gold and gunmetal styles right now.

Jeff

Fine Engineer

My complements on the nice pen sets. I like to see contrasting colors in woodturning. Have seen some segmented bowls that are awesome!
Thanks for the nice words John. It has been fun playing with the different contrasts. Between the woods, the shapes, and the metal, there is an unlimited number of combinations to play with. The more designs I try, the more ideas I get for additional ones to explore. It's nice having this forum to see what others have done as well, and build from there.

Jeff

Woodchipper

I goofed once with an acrylic blue-and-pink blank. A piece of the end chopped off when I cut it to the prescribed length. I shortened it and glued a piece of solid pink acrylic on it and turned it. Solid end was on the nib end and turned out rather well.
FE, keep 'em coming.

KMCloonan

Really nice use of contrasting materials. I really like the two with "half-Celtic knots" - I will have to give that a try. I am sure the recipients will really appreciate these handmade gifts. Merry Christmas!

sorcerertd

Those are some fine gifts! I love working with olive wood. The patterns are so unique and beautiful, and it smells great. I especially like the wood inlay half celtic knots.

semi-retired pastor
I had to laugh at this. My father is a pastor who "retired" quite a few years ago. Since then he has filled in for pastors on vacations and in churches with vacancies. He's also taught Old Testament and apologetics at a local seminary. You don't just retire from a life's calling. It's amazing what they go through, the countless hours spent, yet still love what they do. Now that he's "retired" he loves it even more since he doesn't have to deal with the church politics (yes, that is really a thing).

Woodchipper

Those are some fine gifts! I love working with olive wood. The patterns are so unique and beautiful, and it smells great. I especially like the wood inlay half celtic knots.

I had to laugh at this. My father is a pastor who "retired" quite a few years ago. Since then he has filled in for pastors on vacations and in churches with vacancies. He's also taught Old Testament and apologetics at a local seminary. You don't just retire from a life's calling. It's amazing what they go through, the countless hours spent, yet still love what they do. Now that he's "retired" he loves it even more since he doesn't have to deal with the church politics (yes, that is really a thing).
Church politics? Been there and seen it...for eight years. And it still goes on. Still active in a local church, though.
Apologetics is a defense of the faith and not as a seminary professor said, "I'm sorry I'm a Christian.":)

Top Bottom