New Penn State Industries Catalog

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LK&T

I'm pretty excited about some of the new click pens in the new PSI catalog. Looks like the Schmidt mechanism is making its way into more and more offerings. I'm especially excited about the Groove- 7mm tubes, Schmidt click, very clean styling and good price. The DuraClick Slim EDC looks equally good, albeit with a more "robust" look to the styling and a higher price. These two pens nicely fill a gap for a slim pen that fits into dedicated pen pockets and have a solid click mechanism.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I'm pretty excited about some of the new click pens in the new PSI catalog. Looks like the Schmidt mechanism is making its way into more and more offerings. I'm especially excited about the Groove- 7mm tubes, Schmidt click, very clean styling and good price. The DuraClick Slim EDC looks equally good, albeit with a more "robust" look to the styling and a higher price. These two pens nicely fill a gap for a slim pen that fits into dedicated pen pockets and have a solid click mechanism.

Just for the record .... I think pen kit buyers should be made aware of the following. . ( ... note that EDC stands for Every Day Carry )

The Duraclick Slim EDC kit uses the Schmidt SKM-88 click mechanism, whereas the Groove kit uses the Schmidt SKM-192 click mechanism.

Though similar, they are not the same click mechanisms; they meet different design requirements . However, I believe both to be comparably reliable.

I too think that this is an interesting turning point for kit pens with the adoption of these click mechanisms into click kit pen design.
PSI is to be applauded for this leading-edge progress ..... also for their continuing excellence in their instruction sheets ..... some minor mistakes but overall superior by comparison with others. . I particularly like PSI's inclusion of bushing dimensions and brass tube lengths in their instructions.

Other companies are also adopting these click mechanisms, notably Berea with their new Sierra Super Button Click pen kit and their previous Blade Click kit, and William Wood-Write with their Luxor Click pen kit. . All three of these use the Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism.

EDIT: Should also be mentioned that PSI has two more kits that use the Schmidt SKM-192 click mechanism. . These are the Everyday Classic pen kit, and the Anvil EDC pen kit. . ( EDC stands for Every Day Carry )

Last edited:

LK&T

Seems like these kits are not as new as I thought. They definitely weren't in the last catalog, and they seem to be added online recently. I've done a lot of looking for precisely this kind of kit and haven't found one, so I assumed they were brand new because I haven't seen them. But when you look at the kits on PSI's website there are customer reviews from this past summer. I started making pens this past November and scoured all the pen kit sites multiple times and I'd swear these kits weren't there as recently as this past January. Am I delusional or imagining things?

Just for the record .... I think pen kit buyers should be made aware of the following. . ( ... note that EDC stands for Every Day Carry )

The Duraclick Slim EDC kit uses the Schmidt SKM-88 click mechanism, whereas the Groove kit uses the Schmidt SKM-192 click mechanism.

Though similar, they are not the same click mechanisms; they meet different design requirements . However, I believe both to be comparably reliable.

I too think that this is an interesting turning point for kit pens with the adoption of these click mechanisms into click kit pen design.
PSI is to be applauded for this leading-edge progress ..... also for their continuing excellence in their instruction sheets ..... some minor mistakes but overall superior by comparison with others. . I particularly like PSI's inclusion of bushing dimensions and brass tube lengths in their instructions.

Other companies are also adopting these click mechanisms, notably Berea with their new Sierra Super Button Click pen kit and their previous Blade Click kit, and William Wood-Write with their Luxor Click pen kit. . All three of these use the Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism.

EDIT: Should also be mentioned that PSI has two more kits that use the Schmidt SKM-192 click mechanism. . These are the Everyday Classic pen kit, and the Anvil EDC pen kit. . ( EDC stands for Every Day Carry )

I agree with everything you've written Mal. One of the things I like about PSI is their instructions, easy to follow, every kit has a set, gives you measurements and they don't take 6 pieces of paper to print them out. I keep a set of instructions for all the kits I have in binder and they work out great.

LK&T

I've been eyeing the Groove for awhile. Haven't tried it yet.
I'm gonna order the bulk pack today! I'm gonna back off on the Slim EDC because of the higher price and because the click mechanism caps are all one color and don't match the advertised color of the kit. I think they really rushed that one to market......

LK&T

I have wondered why I can buy Pilot G2's costing a buck each that have a flawless, smooth, reliable click mechanism but a $10-$30 pen kit's mechanism feels like it's made of rusty bedsprings and sound as bad.

magpens

I have wondered why I can buy Pilot G2's costing a buck each that have a flawless, smooth, reliable click mechanism but a $10-$30 pen kit's mechanism feels like it's made of rusty bedsprings and sound as bad.

Ummm ..... me too ! .... That's precisely why I am so fond of the "new generation" of click pen kits that have begun to appear in the last 18 mons or so.
I am referring to the "new" kits which incorporate the Schmidt SKM-88 and SKM-192, and which you, @LK&T , have featured in starting this thread.

With reference to many older kits, you say ..... "a $10-$30 pen kit's mechanism feels like it's made of rusty bedsprings and sound as bad." .......

..... One notable exception (there probably are more) is the "old" BereaHardWoods' Sierra Click kit which is remarkably quiet and smooth in operation. . .
I started buying them 10+ years ago .

BHW's new Sierra Super Button Click is basically an upgrade, preserving the "old" styling, but utilizing the Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism.

Last edited:

Jon Nutting

So what makes a pen EDC? I'm more accustomed to EDC being in reference to a pocket knife or concealed firearm. I guess for a pen it's durability?

Penchant 4

Barry Gross demonstrated the Groove, and provided kits for the class during his week long Penmaking workshop at Marc Adams School of Woodworking last fall. Delightful pen kit. However, one needs to pay attention during assembly. Just follow the directions closely.

darrin1200

So what makes a pen EDC? I'm more accustomed to EDC being in reference to a pocket knife or concealed firearm. I guess for a pen it's durability?
Good morning Jon
In the pen community EDC has the same meaning. It denotes which pens people Carry with them Every Day.

Penn State, using this in their kit name, is just a cheap marketing scheme to capitalize on the amount of use this term gets in the pen community. I don't like it, but they aren't breaking any laws.

I have heard another pen company, Sailor, named one of their latest pens: "Sailor Pen of the Year 2021". But at least with their name in it, it denotes that it is their pen of the year, and not "The" pen of the year.

Just my 2cent rant.

PatrickR

The only one that interest me is the Groove. I may get a couple. I don't like the knurled coupler on the EDC. Easy enough to delete it though. The black EDC might be nice IF they used all black components. If you want to use the Schmidt clicker it is an easy mod to a lot of existing kits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveJ

Berea Hardwoods just introduced their own 7mm click pen using a Schmidt clicker. It looks like it is identical to the PSI version.

It is available in black!

magpens

Berea Hardwoods just introduced their own 7mm click pen using a Schmidt clicker. It looks like it is identical to the PSI version.

It is available in black!

@SteveJ

Can you please tell us the name of that kit, Steve. . I can't seem to find it on the Berea website.

EDIT: . No need to reply, Steve .... unless you want to. . Mark (see below) has provided the kit identity .... I hesitate to call it a "name" but it is !!! . LOL !

Last edited:

magpens

@hooked

Thank you, Mark !! ..... Such an original name for a kit pen, eh ?!! . LOL !

I wonder why it does not show up in a search of their website .... or maybe it does .... I used, simply, "Schmidt" as the search keyword.

It is indeed a VERY NEW kit ...... the instruction sheet is copyrighted this year .... " Copyright© 2021 Berea Hardwoods "

This kit uses the Schmidt SKM-192 click mechanism. It uses a Cross refill ..... in the "slimline tradition".

The thing about using a Cross refill in a 7 mm tube .... they have to jigger around to incorporate the spring for refill retraction. . PSI does the same.

Last edited:
Re the Groove. I ordered a "starter set" as soon as they were available and built them right away. I'm a fan. So much so that I've ordered and already built about 20. I see them as an answer to requests that I have gotten at shows (not in 2020:() for a "Thinner" pen. I usually kept some Slimline's available for those requests and tried the Slimline Pro, too. But I like the Groove better.
Couple things to keep in mind: 1 - It uses a Cross-style refill. Not a biggie. They are available most places that sell refills, but not with as many "options" as the Parker. I've not seen a Cross Gel nor are there as many color options or width selections.
2 - It seems to be VERY sensitive to tube length so TAKE CARE when trimming/sanding the ends. You can shorten the refill a little by sanding but not for a pen that;s for sale (IMHO).

magpens

Berea also has a 27/64ths click pen....they call it the Sierra Button Click

It is actually called the Sierra Super Button Click ...... ( emphasis on the "Super" .... LOL ! )

...... to distinguish it, I guess, from the original Sierra Button Click which has been available for ~10 years or more.

The "Super" does indeed use a 27/64" brass tube, which is a little shorter ( 2.36" ) than the tube in the original Sierra Button Click ( 2.42" ).
The styling of the "Super" is much like the original and characteristic Sierra design.

LK&T

Barry Gross demonstrated the Groove, and provided kits for the class during his week long Penmaking workshop at Marc Adams School of Woodworking last fall. Delightful pen kit. However, one needs to pay attention during assembly. Just follow the directions closely.
Yeah. A couple of reviews on PSI's site said the tube length is critical and trimming even a smidge off the tube can cause problems. Any other issues you know of?

LK&T

Re the Groove. I ordered a "starter set" as soon as they were available and built them right away. I'm a fan. So much so that I've ordered and already built about 20. I see them as an answer to requests that I have gotten at shows (not in 2020:() for a "Thinner" pen. I usually kept some Slimline's available for those requests and tried the Slimline Pro, too. But I like the Groove better.
Couple things to keep in mind: 1 - It uses a Cross-style refill. Not a biggie. They are available most places that sell refills, but not with as many "options" as the Parker. I've not seen a Cross Gel nor are there as many color options or width selections.
2 - It seems to be VERY sensitive to tube length so TAKE CARE when trimming/sanding the ends. You can shorten the refill a little by sanding but not for a pen that;s for sale (IMHO).
Ted, thanks for the info! I'm a big fan of the slimline pens for the same reason, and am stoked about a click option. IMO a lot of the pen kits available are not very good writing instruments because of size, weight and some downright funky design that makes them awkward to hold. For example, I built a Jr. Zen for myself and don't like it. Such pens are fine for signatures, writing checks, and other such tasks but you wouldn't want to sit down and write a letter with many of them. Slimlines are great for writing, and with a Cross refill write well. Cross refills do come in three sizes and three colors, although I think red doesn't get all three sizes. I consider that enough.

I did read a couple reviews on PSI's site about getting the tube length dead on. Have you found any other things about building this kit that need attention?

Well, since you asked - :D
Bushings - if you're like me you use the slimline bushings for spacers when you do other pens. Might want to check the OD to be sure it's still OK. They tend to "go undersize".
Other than that just follow the instructions. Esp the part where it says to insert the clip through the hole in the cap (Step 4). It's not hidden but easy to overlook. DAMHIKT.

EricRN

Yeah. Same here re thinner pens. I've never been a huge fan of the slimline but I've got a bunch of very thin acetate stock that a slimline is pretty much all it will fit on. I was thinking I'd try it on the groove. You all convinced me to order a couple kits.

another option I've been eyeing for something thinner is the Beaufort tempest. That's a little thicker though—Parker style.

pshrynk

I've been eyeing the Groove for awhile. Haven't tried it yet.
Be sure to check the tube length before gluing in. There were some QA problems with them at first. Some how the tubes for the click Groovies and the twist Groovies got mixed together and they aren't the same length by about 1 mm.

Top Bottom