New Member in CA Bay Area

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

atsowers

Hi

Just a quick intro note... I'm new to this forum, and new to penturning in general. My wife got a new (to us) Jet Mini lathe about a month or so ago to start turning pens.

After watching her I was interested in turning pens too, so she showed me the basics. We're basically learning together now. Kinda fun!

My main woodworking interest to this point have been mainly "flatwork."

That's all for now...
Andy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skywizzard

Welcome Andy from Georgia,

This is the place to learn all about penturning and a lot of other things. If you get tired of learning you can just enjoy the casual conservations threads.....might even learn something there. :)

Chasper

Welcome Andy, make yourself at home, this is a great place for a new pen turner.

There is whole bay full of CA somewhere?

You will find that around here CA is short for cyanoacrylate, aka super glue; a penturners best friend.

Welcome aboard Andy & better half. You could have a great team there if you use your knowadge in flat work for building fancy blanks and your better half turning then. I beleive she would let you slip in every once and awhile to turn one yourself

Rollerbob

Andy and Wife, welcome to the forum. I would like to invite you to take a look at the Nothern/ Central CA chapter, joing up with others will allow you to put faces to names and learn more about this thing called penturning!! Greg Ketell is the chapter leader. I will make sure he gives you a proper CA welcome!!

nava1uni

Welcome to Andy and his wife from San Francisco. Hope she joins us here at IAP. Join us at our next Norther California meeting. We have a good time and learn a lot every time we get together. I look forward to seeing your work here.

atsowers

Thanks for the warm welcome all! We've already been in touch with Greg and he and his family have already had to put up with my wife and I (and two kids!). Greg has been VERY helpful in getting us up to speed!

I'll see about posting some pictures tonight...

BTW, my wife has been registered for awhile now... I created my own account so I can participate in PITH :)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader

darcisowers

Ambonya Burl Sierra

Here's the pen Greg was referring to... I think I finished last week, or was it the week before?!? I think its my third pen completed so far (although I have a few in different stages of being completed (I'm pretty slow still). Thanks to Greg and Darci (my wife) for helping me out!

amboyna_sierra.jpg

BTW, why dont they make the bushings in the shape of the pen kits so you can have a better idea of how shape the pens to follow the natural curve of the kit? I do realize that some different pen kits share bushings, but I for one would pay for these!

We don't have a dedicated setup yet for the photos so bear with the picture quality for now...

Thanks
Andy

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Andy! Join in the fun and madness! Lots of great information and helpers around. If you have any questions or just observations, feel free to ask or note them.

PaulSF

Count me as a new member in the Bay Area, too. I live in San Francisco, and have a picture framing store in San Mateo. I'm looking forward to going to the next get-together. I'm also looking forward to making my first pen that doesn't suck! Maybe today will be the day!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome to you too, Paul. Andy already knows but make sure you "subscribe" to the northern/Central California forum. Then if anyone posts anything there you will get notified of it. And that is where we schedule meetings.

GK

Top Bottom