Hello From Long Beach, CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

candy1land

Well I was tooling around on the internet last night and I found this site. I'm VERY excited to begin my research phase on starting this new venture. I have been collecting "commercially made" pens for years. I love pens. Let me re-state that again..."I LOVE PENS"!!! Of all sizes, shapes, colors and materials. I always have. It's been my one weaknesses in life. Buying new one's has always made me happy! Not even cheap plastic pens miss being noticed by me.

I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur of sorts too and this concept of making my own "works of art" is exciting! I can't wait to start this adventure but I will preface that excitement with some trepidation about the complexity of the learning curve. I've read many of the posts on what you wish you would have known and as a TRUE NEWBIE it sounds complicated. I'm looking for the cliff notes version along with the Shopping List. And then of course I'm also looking for the classes and/or mentorship I know I will need to truly get started. I like learn by doing not learn by experimenting with costly supplies and tools.

In a prior attempt at being an entrepreneur I stepped into making rubber weights. The kind of weights used in the Olympics by the big weight lifters who lift them up over their heads and then drop them on the floor. Well those weights have steel centers that have to be turned on a lathe. I jumped into that business without even knowing what a lathe was or how to use it. I bought an old WWII Navy Lathe (full size) with no motor. It was so heavy my uncle had to lift it with a tractor onto a trailer to get it home. We used a lawn mower engine to power it and off I went learning how to "turn".

I figure if I could do that with no instructions, no guidelines and no written tolerances and a crappy scale then this can't be above me. Nothing like metal shavings in every opening on your face to teach you to use protective gear and wear a mask! I'll post pictures of what I produced and later sold to a high school weight room later. But I had an introduction to machining from some very nice gentlemen in machine shops who I needed to turn my weight lifting bars and after a quick lesson on how to turn the lathe on and what a blade looked like I was on my own.

I want to get this party started so I can make some amateur gifts by X-mas. My challenges are finding someone to help mentor me at first. Figuring out what I need to buy. (may need to sell my ginormous full size lathe for other tools and a smaller one instead) And discovering my inner artisan for this type of craft work.

I welcome to comments and suggestions. I've already poured over the two intro articles and taken notes. Now I just want to connect, get involved and meet you so I can join this big adventure!

Candy Roberts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

First of all Candy, welcome to the madness. Far beit that I would be one to steer you in the direction of proper equipment. As with most here, I just held my nose and jumped in. There are many lower end pen kits that are available to practice on without braking the bank. Slimelines can be purchased by several of the vendors that are listed in the links tab at the top of this page. I am quite sure that others will jump in and offer up a multitude equipment options. Again, pick tools in your price range and practice, practice. Read articles that are in the IAP library. And one last thing, get connected with your local chapter leader so that you can exchange info with other turners. Have fun, and if you get stumped, just holler, plenty good folks to help you out!!

candy1land

Hi Rollerbob! Thanks for the advice. I have been perusing sites that sell lathes and what I'm finding is that there are a lot of varieties out there. I now know that VS stands for Variable Speed. Now one question I have is in regard to things like distance between centers, horsepower, VS vs. not, other specs I should be paying attention to and why one type or brand of lathe over another. Most people keep stating the obvious which is to let your budget decide.

I'm used to buying quality up front when I'm serious about something within reason of course. So any brand name suggestions with some specs would be helpful to me as well. Many people on this forum have learned after their investent that more of this or more of that would have been better to start with rather than buying on the inexpensive side only to find out later it would have been worthwhile to spend a little more the first time around.

I'm curious what lathes you all are using....make/model/features you can't live without/etc...

The other challenge I'm having is finding a place to put these things I'm about to purchase as I don't have a workable garage available. Let's just hope some of my friends are generous with their garage space! : )

Sell the house, kiss your spouse goodbye and head for the shop.:biggrin: Buy an extra set of tubes so if a pen doesn't look good you can redo it and don't have to wait for tubes. Keep all instructions in a binder and write notes on them. Learn how to do a CA finish it isn't as hard as it seems. Most importantly, enjoy the process and don't rush it. Good luck.

seawolf

Welcome from Tulsa Ok.
As mentioned get with the local chapter and they will help with info and tips. Also Woodcraft has classes on penturning as well as other turning projects. For turning wood free wood from wood shops or even pallets to learn form and polishing without even using a pen kit while learning.
You collect pens so picking a style that suits you should be fairly easy. select a kit but be sure it has a good plating. ( several of the vendors here carry great products )
Buy only high speed steel or carbide tools and invest in a good sharpening system.
Mark

rherrell

Welcome!
I was born in Long Beach and grew up in San Pedro. Is the old Joe Josts still there on Anaheim St.? God I miss their polish sausage sandwiches with the pickled eggs and pretzles! We used to drink beer and shoot pool on those OLD full sized pool tables all night long.

welcome from the mitten state. You may love this so much that you will sell all your collectors pens to make room for all the new ones you make. Any thing you need here will surely be provided, ths is now your extended family.

polarbear1

Hi Candy welcome to the madness. About 3 or 4 years ago now my exwife (she was not ex at the time) wanted us to take a pen turning class, so she signed us op for one at woodcraft in orange county not far from where you live Stanton I believe. We left the class that night with our first lathe, and everythng we needed to make a few pens. Now I'm on my 2nd lathe, and hae made in the neighborhood of 400 pens, and multiple bowl's lidded boxes, trivets, bottle stoppers, vases, just about anything and everything round. I would get started with taking a few of those classes, and joining a local wood turning club this link will help you find one in your area, you are sure welcome to come to ours "the inland empire woodturners" we meet in Riverside the 3rd sunday of the month. but if you check this link there are some clubs closer to you http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Candy:

Welcome, If your space is tight you probably will want to stick to a mini lathe. I use a Jet 1014I with a bed extension and am very happy with it. As for distance between centers, how much you need depends on what you plan to make. All the mini's are long enough for pens but if you want longer stuff like canes or large peppermills you need a longer bed. That's why I have a bed extension on mine, it turns a short lathe into long one.

DurocShark

There ya go, Dale's in the 909, and I bet there's a bunch in So Cal to help get you started as well. Teaching yourself takes a LONG time when a little time watcing others can get you well on your way with some of the techniques.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome, Candy!

I'm from here in Riverside, CA. I see you've already found your way to the Local Chapter meeting. There is a Rockler's store across the street from where we will be meeting. You may want to check them out while your there.

And, of course the library here has some great resources such as

Building on the Basics for new penturners by Jim Shaver (Jim in Oakville)
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2006/buildingonthebasics.pdf

Last edited:
Hi Candy, WElcome aboard. I'm from Paso Robles ca. I took a 2 hr pen class last march that a local tool outlet has every saterday. I left with two nice wood pens And a diploma that I was so proud of it that I found a deep pic. frame And framed it with the two pens . It hangs on my wall. Up till now I have made mostly slimlines with Corian countertop maturial. They make nice looking inexpencive pens.
I had an old lathe, so all I bought is the excesseries Got into it for under $400.
I made that back at one show. I have spent much more since then, but on pen kits .
I'm about 3 hrs from you. PM me if you want, Frank

candy1land

It's Still Here

Welcome!
I was born in Long Beach and grew up in San Pedro. Is the old Joe Josts still there on Anaheim St.? God I miss their polish sausage sandwiches with the pickled eggs and pretzles! We used to drink beer and shoot pool on those OLD full sized pool tables all night long.

Yep, Joe Josts is still here. I've never been in it but it looks like it's got a lot of character. I love Long Beach and I work in San Pedro too. Can't beat this weather when it's not too terribly hot. :)

candy1land

This will see like a terribly newbie question but can you tell me what CA stands for? I understand that it's the finish you put on at the end but I'm curious what the acronym is for? Thanks! And oh ya.....already started on a binder! Been taking furious notes as I go.

candy1land

Welcome, Candy!

I'm from here in Riverside, CA. I see you've already found your way to the Local Chapter meeting. There is a Rockler's store across the street from where we will be meeting. You may want to check them out while your there.

And, of course the library here has some great resources such as

Building on the Basics for new penturners by Jim Shaver (Jim in Oakville)
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2006/buildingonthebasics.pdf

Thank you Cathy for the information. I hope to be meeting you at the next get together too. I will look for Rockler's as well. This is SO exciting to me!! : )

snyiper

Welcome candy hope this helps

Cyanoacrylate

Jump to: navigation, search

Chemical structure of methyl cyanoacrylate

A tube of The Original Super Glue.

Cyanoacrylate is the generic name for cyanoacrylate based fast-acting adhesives such as methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names like Super Glue and Krazy Glue), n-butyl cyanoacrylate (used in the veterinary glues Vetbond and LiquiVet and skin glues like Indermil and Histoacryl). 2-octyl cyanoacrylate is a medical grade glue encountered under various trade names; e.g., LiquiBand,SurgiSeal, FloraSeal, Dermabond, and Nexaband. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are sometimes known as "instant glues". The abbreviation "CA" is commonly used for industrial grades.
Contents

[hide]

[edit] Uses

Cyanoacrylate is a tenacious adhesive, particularly when used to bond non-porous materials or those that contain minute traces of water. It is also very good at bonding body tissue, and while this can be a bothersome (or even dangerous) side effect during everyday use, it has been exploited for the benefit of suture-less surgery.
Cyanoacrylate glue has a low shearing strength, which has also led to its use as a temporary adhesive in cases where the piece can easily be sheared off at a later time. Common examples include mounting a workpiece to a sacrificial glue block on a lathe and also tightening pins and bolts.
Cyanoacrylates are often used to assemble prototype electronics (see wire wrap), flying model aircraft, and as retention dressings for nuts and bolts. Their effectiveness in bonding metal and general versatility have also made them popular amongst modeling and miniatures hobbyists. They are used to re-harden the boxes and shanks of ballerinas' pointe shoes as well.
Cyanoacrylate glue's ability to resist water has made it popular with marine aquarium hobbyists for fragging corals. The cut branches of hard corals such as Acropora can be glued to a piece of live rock or Milliput substrate to allow the new frag to grow out.[citation needed]
Standard cyanoacrylate adhesive does not bond well to smooth glass, although there are special formulations which are more suitable. A mechanical adhesive bond may be formed around glass fibre mat or tissue to reinforce joints or to fabricate small parts.
When added to baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), cyanoacrylate glue forms a hard, lightweight filler/adhesive (baking soda is first used to fill a gap then the adhesive is dripped into the baking soda). This works well with porous materials that the glue doesn't work well with alone. This method is sometimes used by aircraft modelers to assemble or repair polystyrene foam parts[citation needed]. It is also used to repair small nicks in the leading edge of composite propellor blades on light aircraft. Note that the reaction between cyanoacrylate and baking soda is very exothermic (heat producing) and also produces noxious vapors.
Cyanoacrylate is used as a forensic tool to capture latent fingerprints on non-porous surfaces like glass, plastic, etc.[1] Cyanoacrylate is warmed to produce fumes which react with the invisible fingerprint residues and atmospheric moisture to form a white polymer (polycyanoacrylate) on the fingerprint ridges. The ridges can then be recorded. The developed fingerprints are, on most surfaces (except on white plastic or similar), visible to the naked eye. Non-visible or poorly visible prints can be furthermore enhanced by applying a luminescent or non-luminescent stain.
Thin CA glue is also used as a wood finish, particularly among woodturners. It can give a fast drying, glossy finish to wood.
Some rock climbers use cyanoacrylate to repair damage to the skin on their fingertips. Similarly, stringed-instrument players can form protective finger caps (in addition to callouses) with cyanoacrylates.[citation needed]
Superglue was in veterinarian use for mending bone, hide, and tortoise shell by at least the early 1970s. The inventor of cyanoacrylates, Harry Coover, said in 1966 that a superglue spray was used in the Vietnam War to retard bleeding in wounded soldiers until they could be brought to a hospital. As it can irritate the skin, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration did not approve superglue's civilian medical use until 1998 when a variant called 2-octyl-cyanoacrylate was developed.[citation needed]
Some glues are 100% ethyl cyanoacrylate,[citation needed] but other glues may be have a mixed composition (e.g., 91% ECA, 9% poly(methyl methacrylate), <0.5% hydroquinone, and a small amount of organic sulfonic acid).[2]

candy1land

Thank You

Hi Candy welcome to the madness. About 3 or 4 years ago now my exwife (she was not ex at the time) wanted us to take a pen turning class, so she signed us op for one at woodcraft in orange county not far from where you live Stanton I believe. We left the class that night with our first lathe, and everythng we needed to make a few pens. Now I'm on my 2nd lathe, and hae made in the neighborhood of 400 pens, and multiple bowl's lidded boxes, trivets, bottle stoppers, vases, just about anything and everything round. I would get started with taking a few of those classes, and joining a local wood turning club this link will help you find one in your area, you are sure welcome to come to ours "the inland empire woodturners" we meet in Riverside the 3rd sunday of the month. but if you check this link there are some clubs closer to you http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Wow I'm so excited you posted this for me. I found the class you speak of and I'm going to take it so I can get going! I'm looking forward to attending some local meetings too so I can learn from others in this community. I welcome the addiction! It will be fun for me!

candy1land

Thanks Joe and Snyiper for such great help on that one! This list of acronyms will come in handy for sure and who knew Super Glue would be used in this capacity. I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it done on one of the videos on You Tube. WOW! So much to learn about this stuff but good times!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
a very late answer to your question about what types of lathes do "we" use . . .
I purchased Jet Mini Lathe 1041 VS and still give it a workout when I can.
I have had occasional difficulties with the power switch. And it seems I'm not the only one. It's been a simple thing to take apart the power switch box and clean it. But if I were buying another one now, I'm not sure it'd be a Jet Mini lathe. Thats just my personal take on it.

fafow

Candy,

This is a little late, but welcome!!! I live in L.A. and work in Torrance. Long Beach isn't all that far. I got a Jet 1236 and love it. I recently picked up a 14" Grizzly band saw with a riser block. I started trading pens for wood at a local firewood place and have been getting some nice burl and curly wood. Just cut up a piece of olivewood with some very active grain and coloring. All for almost nothing, but needed the band saw to cut the firewood up. Most of what I know about penturning, I learned on this site. There are lots of tutorials, and more than enough people willing to help. Jump in.

Top Bottom