New Guy from Rochester NY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bricketts528

Hello from Upstate NY! I've been turning pens for a year, encouraged to start by a friend and I LOVE it! I actually just started a new website so I can afford to keep my habit going. I am interested in starting to turn other projects such as bowls, etc.

I look forward to conversing with and learning from others...and perhaps be able to help others from my experience!:cool:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gandsande

Welcome. Lucky you in rochester there is a woodcraft store. I keep meaning to got down there. Post your site sometime. looking foward to seeing if your selling.

bricketts528

Hi ganhsande - Yes I love the Woodcraft store, plus the Rockler store in Buffalo (near my in-laws) I certainly have to watch myself $ wise for sure! I need to sell some before I continue!

Padre

Hi from Connecticut! Welcome to the addiction. LOL

I lived in Rochester twice....once back in 79 over on Grand Avenue off of Culver, and the 2nd time was when I went to seminary at CRDS/Bexley Hall. Lived on Field Street off of Monroe that time.

its_virgil

Welcome from Upstate Texas...actually we call it North Texas. You have an excellent penturner and woodturner as well in Henrietta which I think is close to you. His name is Kurt Hertzog and often teaches at Woodcraft, Rockler and Lee Valley. Kurt taught a week long penturning session at Arrowmont this summer.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Hello from Upstate NY! I've been turning pens for a year, encouraged to start by a friend and I LOVE it! I actually just started a new website so I can afford to keep my habit going. I am interested in starting to turn other projects such as bowls, etc.

I look forward to conversing with and learning from others...and perhaps be able to help others from my experience!:cool:

JimB

Welcome from Upstate Texas...actually we call it North Texas. You have an excellent penturner and woodturner as well in Henrietta which I think is close to you. His name is Kurt Hertzog and often teaches at Woodcraft, Rockler and Lee Valley. Kurt taught a week long penturning session at Arrowmont this summer.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hey Barry, welcome to the group. I'm also in the Rochester area in West Henrietta. When Don said there was a great Penturner in Henrietta I was sure he was talking about me :biggrin:. Just kidding though. I actually took my first turning class from Kurt and I am quite sure I will never be that good.

There are a few others from upstate NY on here but we are spread out. 2 or 3 in Buffalo and a few more past Syracuse.

Maybe we will need to start an Upstate NY chapter of IAP!

bricketts528

Hi Jim - yes you are very close! I believe we will have to start a chapter here as I'm sure there are a few more close by that are in hiding!

Hi Don - I've heard of Kurt but have yet to meet him. I've been learning by doing - sort of a trial by fire. A few lessons would be great though to learn a few tricks of the trade.

Hi Barry!

Padre - I know where both of those places are! That's real downtown!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from sunny southern California!

Here are a few links for reference –
This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

This link tells of some "out of the box" tools/aids for pen turners http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66178

This one is a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't. http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

Top Bottom