My Urn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from montmill

montmill

This is my burial urn, my wife made hers out of pottery. It's made of cherry burl and walnut root stock. It's four inches tall and six inches wide. Some of my ashes will be scattered along my favorite trout stream and a marsh I loved to duck hunt in. The finish is tung oil and the inclusions are filled with brass shavings.
cherry burl and walnut root urn tung oil finish, brass fill.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Feels weird commenting on something like this. But if you like it then it will serve the purpose. Hope you have many more great turning years ahead.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful artistry, and I fully support your intent. My wife and I intend to pre-plan our memorial services. In the past two years we have had two elderly parents pass, and both instances the greatest question was 'What would they have wanted?' We believe we can give our children a head start, subject to their thoughts.

sorcerertd

Very nicely done! You will have a beautiful vessel to rest in and nobody will have to decide what you would have wanted. I do agree with John @jttheclockman about it being a little weird commenting on this, and even more in hoping you don't need it for a long time.

montmill

I was a school counselor and had my share of unexpected death among the student population and parents. I can't tell you how many families I worked with as they had to make some very difficult decisions. Upon my retirement I was the sextant at our church cemetery so again am familiar with how difficult it can be for families. One thing to keep in mind is each cemetery may have their own rules regarding the burial of cremains. Ours requires the cremains be in a container and must be buried in the ground however no vault is required. Any turner that does hollow forms can make an urn. There are several on the American Association of Woodturners that make them. If you go to their forum and search "urn" you'll find lots of posts. I know many people don't want to talk about death and I don't mean to rub it in any ones face, but it's a reality and it is helpful for those left if you provide some direction.

woodwzrd

What a beautiful piece. Cherry burl is an all time favorite of mine and the walnut accent with it is very nice. Very well done.

When I was younger I had the thought in mind that I wanted to build my own casket but after many discussions my wife and I have decided to be cremated (hopefully many years from now) as well and I have plans to turn my urn as well as hers. I had the opportunity to build my grandfathers urn a few years back using some to the flatwork knowledge he taught me many year ago as a kid and it was one of the most humbling projects I have ever worked on.

Top Bottom