Some leatherwork and other odd stuff...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Painfullyslow

Painfullyslow

I am really not even sure where to begin here as I have made a bunch of random stuff in my time ranging from concrete countertops to carbon fiber bits for my motorcycles and just about everything in between but here goes...

Lets start with the carbon fiber stuff. A gas tank for my race bike. As it came out of the mold...
2020-09-13_07-14-01.jpg

and after it was painted all nice-nice

2020-09-13_07-16-41.jpg

From there...some leatherwork that I have done.

A clutch for my wife...
20210127_162536.jpg

20210127_162614.jpg

A tote that I made for a friend. She needed something a little beefy to carry her laptop and still look stylish.

20210108_105953.jpg

20210108_105349.jpg

and finally a bag that I made for myself.

20191030_123111.jpg

20191030_123123.jpg

20191030_123302.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Painfullyslow

Really nice work. Did you hand stitch this or use a machine? If machine, what do you use?

All by hand. I spent a LOT of time perfecting my saddle stitch.

I do have a machine which I mostly use for belts.
123953033_10218269794564983_8272473932767193965_o.jpg

I guess I consider myself more of a builder than maker. I have built many engines, transmissions, differentials, decks and additions on houses.

I can't really do that so much any more so now I try to focus on the smaller things. Pens seem to be a nice fit.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Those are great! We've been trying to make some leather mitts, and I had no idea how hard it was to sew leather, let alone make it look nice. That last bag in particular is beautiful! You should look into making DSLR camera bags next - probably a good market for those!

mgoetzke

Very gifted person- I like them all but your bag is my favorite. Why do I like the carbon fiber look over painted on that tank?

Painfullyslow

Those are great! We've been trying to make some leather mitts, and I had no idea how hard it was to sew leather, let alone make it look nice. That last bag in particular is beautiful! You should look into making DSLR camera bags next - probably a good market for those!
Thanks, I appreciate the compliments. I am sure there is a market for many handmade leather goods but to be honest I really dont make things for profit. It is just something that I do to occupy my time.

Painfullyslow

Very gifted person- I like them all but your bag is my favorite. Why do I like the carbon fiber look over painted on that tank?

Gifted? I don't really think so, I am just determined and have an eye for detail.

As for the raw carbon look, I too prefer it but in the racing world, I have to fly the team colors. The real reason I did it was weight savings. 13lbs at the highest point on the bike is a substantial change. The finished gas tank weighed 1.8lbs.

I would have preferred being able to run the tank unpainted but I am pretty happy with the overall results.

ZF-3857-65713-1-001.jpg

Gifted? I don't really think so, I am just determined and have an eye for detail.

As for the raw carbon look, I too prefer it but in the racing world, I have to fly the team colors. The real reason I did it was weight savings. 13lbs at the highest point on the bike is a substantial change. The finished gas tank weighed 1.8lbs.

I would have preferred being able to run the tank unpainted but I am pretty happy with the overall results.

View attachment 330201
Ok,so we won't call you gifted then...
But you are definitely very skilled across a range of materials. The development of "talent" goes hand in hand with determination and an eye for detail.
Maybe your gift is the ability to develop and apply a high degree of skill to whatever you turn your hand to.Well done regardless.

Painfullyslow

Ok,so we won't call you gifted then...
But you are definitely very skilled across a range of materials. The development of "talent" goes hand in hand with determination and an eye for detail.
Maybe your gift is the ability to develop and apply a high degree of skill to whatever you turn your hand to.Well done regardless.

Much appreciated! I suppose that is probably the best way to sum up my 'gift' as you say. I just tend to have a lot of focus and can apply it to whatever is in front of me. It usually yields pretty decent results.

I do have to say that so far I am really enjoying my foray into pen turning!

Top Bottom