My Ironic Knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska - Well, I decided to try something other than pens, so I bought a Drop Point Knife kit from Woodcraft. I didn't want to mess up any good exotic so I decided to use some black walnut that I had in my wood pile. The build was going OK, but then as I was sanding it the irony came - I dropped it on the point and the tip broke off. I finished sanding and applied a couple coats of spar urethane anyway for practice if for nothing else. So now, here is a picture of my finished dropped point Drop Point knife.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_1586 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey Dave. If you have a sharpening stone you can reduce the size of the chipped blade and clean it up pretty good. Takes some time and I'd never sell a knife with this problem but at least you've gained the tip back...kind of, it will still have a small defect. Nice knife and Walnut is a great wood for knife handles. Last time I dropped a knife point first it landed on the top of my foot, I was barefooted, and it stuck. You got off easy.

TDahl

Beautiful knife even with the tip missing (I actually might not of noticed if you didn't point it out.)

Charlie_W

Nice job on the handle!

Yes, carefully grind back and reshape till sharp again. Then hone to a keen edge.

You will then have a nicely honed knife ready for every carry, sale or gifting.

Fuzzy63

Hi David, I recently have made this knife also. I take a 1/4 inch rubber hose and slice it on one side full length then slide the knife blade in it and wrap blue tape around it. That way if I drop it, the hose will protect the blade. I remove it when the knife is done.
Gary

egnald

Hey Dave. If you have a sharpening stone you can reduce the size of the chipped blade and clean it up pretty good. Takes some time and I'd never sell a knife with this problem but at least you've gained the tip back...kind of, it will still have a small defect. Nice knife and Walnut is a great wood for knife handles. Last time I dropped a knife point first it landed on the top of my foot, I was barefooted, and it stuck. You got off easy.
Thanks for the reply. Walnut is sort of my inexpensive go to wood for trying new things. It machines so easily and finishes good. Can you recommend any other woods or exotics that work well for knife handles? Bocote? Cocobolo? Padauk? Various Rosewoods? I'm trying to figure out what to use on my next one. Thanks - Dave

egnald

Hi David, I recently have made this knife also. I take a 1/4 inch rubber hose and slice it on one side full length then slide the knife blade in it and wrap blue tape around it. That way if I drop it, the hose will protect the blade. I remove it when the knife is done.
Gary
Thanks for the tip Gary - I did use the blue tape, but your suggestion about the hose is the bomb. That's what I will do for the next one. - Dave

More4dan

I have a set of foam rubber mats in front of my work bench. It protects the blade if I drop it and helps with the ankles and knees. Cost $10 at HF. You could reshape the tip as others have suggested. If you are new to grinding, I would work it from the top spline. Use a new 120 grit belt on a belt sander and dip the blade in water to keep the blade cool between passes. It should only take a couple minutes. Then hand sand with higher grits to match the blade's finish.

Danny
Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Walnut is sort of my inexpensive go to wood for trying new things. It machines so easily and finishes good. Can you recommend any other woods or exotics that work well for knife handles? Bocote? Cocobolo? Padauk? Various Rosewoods? I'm trying to figure out what to use on my next one. Thanks - Dave

I don't use a lot of exotics on my handle material but, if you're looking for some great scales check Bell Forest Products (they are/were an IAP vendor). They have a large selection and I've always been impressed with their selection.
As for cleaning up the tip, Danny, @More4dan, is spot on. And I have the same foam rubber mats in front of my knife bench too and they work very well.

Top Bottom