First bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jrich7970

jrich7970

They have *LOTS* of problems, but, they're my first, so I don't mind that much. Maple, cherry, and canarywood.

I'll be making more, trying to figure it out. Gotta find a way to sharpen my gouge, learn some techniques. I'm also limited by my small lathe.

20201213_193851.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Jeff,
do a little bit of research on grinders. You will want a finer stone for your grinder for sharpening turning tools. There are numerous types of grinders: Water grinders, dry, coarse stones, fine stones, belt sharpeners, CBN wheels, Scary sharp (using super fine sandpaper on glass).

I started off with a grinder for getting to shape but used the scary sharp method for fine tuning my tools for turning. The scary sharp method uses a flat plate of glass or smooth steel/aluminum that doesn't flex and putting adhesive backed sandpaper strips of different grades such as 600 then 1000, then 2000.. Drag the tool over one grade a couple of times, then on to the next grade etc. Finish by stropping it a couple or three times on a piece of leather.

I don't know how much you want to get into sharpening and you can do as much or as little as you wish.

Here are links to two threads here on IAP concerning CBN wheels.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/cbn-wheel-question-s-147589/

https://www.penturners.org/threads/cbn-wheels-for-grinder.155103/

jrich7970

Jeff,
do a little bit of research on grinders. You will want a finer stone for your grinder for sharpening turning tools. There are numerous types of grinders: Water grinders, dry, coarse stones, fine stones, belt sharpeners, CBN wheels, Scary sharp (using super fine sandpaper on glass).

I started off with a grinder for getting to shape but used the scary sharp method for fine tuning my tools for turning. The scary sharp method uses a flat plate of glass or smooth steel/aluminum that doesn't flex and putting adhesive backed sandpaper strips of different grades such as 600 then 1000, then 2000.. Drag the tool over one grade a couple of times, then on to the next grade etc. Finish by stropping it a couple or three times on a piece of leather.

I don't know how much you want to get into sharpening and you can do as much or as little as you wish.

Here are links to two threads here on IAP concerning CBN wheels.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/cbn-wheel-question-s-147589/

https://www.penturners.org/threads/cbn-wheels-for-grinder.155103/

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Gary Beasley

They have *LOTS* of problems, but, they're my first, so I don't mind that much. Maple, cherry, and canarywood.

I'll be making more, trying to figure it out. Gotta find a way to sharpen my gouge, learn some techniques. I'm also limited by my small lathe.

View attachment 292732
Those straight sided bowls are not the easiest to turn and make them look good. Try something with continuous curves inside and out and you may be pleased with how nice they look. Dont worry about wasting the wood.
The hard part about this style is the transition from the sides to the bottom often creating tearout and toolmarks that take too long to sand out.

jrich7970

Those straight sided bowls are not the easiest to turn and make them look good. Try something with continuous curves inside and out and you may be pleased with how nice they look. Dont worry about wasting the wood.
The hard part about this style is the transition from the sides to the bottom often creating tearout and toolmarks that take too long to sand out.

Definitely had issues with tear out at the bottom edge.

Top Bottom