My fist large pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from w5brw

w5brw

After a month of turning I finally decided to pull out the tycoon I ordered, this is the result. I was surprised that the walnut looks to have a burl figure in it. Please be critical, I turned my first pen on the 7th of this month, so i know there is a lot more I need to learn.:)

Thanks
1_tycoonwal1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Well, i was really hoping to click on the picture to enlarge and see more detail. You should change your angle to where the pen is more perpendicular to the camera instead of like it is falling away from the camera. Does this make sense?

el_d

Welcome Buford,
I grew up on the southside of San Antonio, and went to the Strawbery festival all the time. had a great time.
From what I can see it looks good. Like Seamus said perpendicular to the camera works best and IMHO lose the rock and highlite the craftsmanship....

Last edited:

w5brw

Almost forgot. The festival is this weekend. Only about 6 miles from my house. The only time of the year that I must use the back roads to go anywhere. The traffic has gotten horrid. I'm thinking about going this year just to see the Texas Turners booth in action.

OutofTurnSam

IMHO lose the rock and highlite the craftsmanship....

I'd keep the rock. =)

But I do agree about trying to reduce the angle of the pen to the camera. I'd recommend tacking many different pictures at many different angles until you find the one you like. It'll be obvious to you when you finally found the right position to photograph your pens at. It's also important to note that this angle with change between pens, depending on the figuring and the lighting. Sometimes a more vertical shot is needed just to get the grain to pop in the given lighting.

Anyways, great pen. The wood looks beautiful.

boxxmaker

My first large pen

I'm not going to critisize the pen,cause its to dark for me to see (sorry) have you tried editing the pic.Took me a while,but I finaly figured it out.I don't know what programs you have,but I just go into paint and click edit and then I lighten up the pic.

OutofTurnSam

View attachment 48862

I think I finally got the picture attached correctly, now it should open large enough to see the pen...

Good positioning! But I think you might need more light coming from the front. It looks like the light source is off to the left, and slightly behind. Maybe get an additional light or just move one of the ones you have.

You could try editing it with paint or another photo program, but I think the picture is too dark for that - you'll either end up making it look grainy or you will not be able to see the detail in the wood as good as you'd want.

Top Bottom