My first 'succesful' pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chrome

Hi All,

Keen on casting my own unique pen blanks... I did a lot of casting as a youth, but almost 30-years later, I'm going through a learning curve once again...

My first attempt resulted in an extremely hot heaving spitting, steaming mess crackling and cracking with noxious fumes pumping out into the air. However I've prepared well and already have breathing kit (Trend Airshield Pro), so was ok. I know I added far too much hardener...

The next day I broke it up into chunks, dropped it into a mold and re-cast it with a flesh colored mix binding it. This is the result, and I'm pleased to say it's my first successful batch of pen blanks... here's one blank from the five I produced. I think it will make very unique pens.
biggrin.gif
What do you think?

7214652678_68f016dfbf_b.jpg

I can't wait to get some more on the go...

Cheers, Chrome :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chrome

Managed to make it into a pen I finished today. American 24kt Gold Fountain. The cap section was slightly oversized where it meets the cap threading ring :frown:, but otherwise, as it's my very first 100% home-made pen blank and only my third Americana I'm reasonably pleased. I will use calipers from now on.

Any comments appreciated...

7172313223_0660bfdbe3_c.jpg

7357528174_6cf4f20d36_c.jpg

Cheers, Chrome

Drstrangefart

I like the blank. I was definitely at a loss to figure out what plating I would have used, the gold works pretty well up against it. I can still go back to my first homemade blank, and the fight it took to get parts of it on a pen. It's a rewarding experience.

Top Bottom