Mold choices

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

After crunching the numbers it will be cheaper to purchase rubber molds than make my own, in the beginning.

Yes I know I can make them out of silicon but I don't want to. Silicon and I do not get along.

So, instead of being told about how wonderful so and so is I am just looking for options and websites. Are there other options outside the resin saver dude.

If you make these you have my permission to send me PMs with links to your websites. I will not get upset unless you sell my PM address to a political party or sexual enhancement drug company.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I made my own molds from silicone....once. When I needed additional silicone molds I was a lot smarter and bought them.

I cast PR exclusively. I cast with the tubes in and I use vacuum.

I've tried both resin saver (which you already know about) and the "tube-in" casting molds from Fred Wissen.

Handcrafted Pen and Bottlestopper Blank Molds

I found Fred's molds worked much better for me, rarely allowing resin into the tubes. The resin saver molds gave me tubes half filled with resin almost every time I used them. (Remember, I'm using vacuum. Not pressure. I don't know how either would work with pressure).

The quality of the rubber in both brands of molds seems comparable and should provide long life with either. I've got over 100 casts in my first mold from Fred and it's still looking good (not new, but perfectly serviceable).

So, there's one person's opinion.

Ed

Canadian_Kid

I just got two of the junior series from Fred's website Handcrafted Pen and Bottlestopper Blank Molds

I have also bout the pen wizard molds Acrylic/Polyester Resin Pen Blank Molds

The Pen Wizard molds look like they are of better quality (less blemishes) but they cost 1 and 1/2 times the amount. For the price I would buy the ones from Fred. I have tested the pen wizard mold to 70PSI in my pressure pot and it didn't let any liquid inside the tubes. The molds from Fred use the same method so I am assuming they would hold a good amount of pressure as well.

The pen wizard mold is made from a harder type of silicon (less flexible).

Don.

bitshird

I don't know if he's still around but I have a couple of molds from Gadget= IAP name. they are 5.something by 3/4 and also one that's 1 inch square, the 3/5 holds 4 and I't held up very well as have the resin savers from Charlie, I have 3 of his, all have held up well, Gadget's are almost 4 years old and been used many many times.
I have heard very good things about PTStubbie's and also about the Pen Wizard molds.

corian king

I made my own molds from silicone....once. When I needed additional silicone molds I was a lot smarter and bought them.

I cast PR exclusively. I cast with the tubes in and I use vacuum.

I've tried both resin saver (which you already know about) and the "tube-in" casting molds from Fred Wissen.

Handcrafted Pen and Bottlestopper Blank Molds

I found Fred's molds worked much better for me, rarely allowing resin into the tubes. The resin saver molds gave me tubes half filled with resin almost every time I used them. (Remember, I'm using vacuum. Not pressure. I don't know how either would work with pressure).

The quality of the rubber in both brands of molds seems comparable and should provide long life with either. I've got over 100 casts in my first mold from Fred and it's still looking good (not new, but perfectly serviceable).

So, there's one person's opinion.

Ed

I have 6 of Freds molds,Great guy,Great molds.

reddwil

I'm still a big fan of the mini coke bottles for vertical pours. I bought two packs of 15 over a year ago, still using 8 from the first pack. I like being able to see the mix and swirling. I got 4 resin savers for tube in casting. No issues with either the bottles or Resin savers. I made a couple silicone molds that I still use on occasion. When they wear out, i will buy something better. Like you, me and silicone didn't get along.

Haynie

I just got sent 50 of those baby 2 liter bottles. I will use them to pour blanks but am looking specifically for the already sized molds to cast tube in.

Thanks for the PMs folks.

RogerH

My son and I made some molds last weekend from cheap, Walmart cutting boards that we ripped down and then screwed together. Took 30 minutes to make a couple molds.

Credit to Curtis, it was his idea. Worked really well on the alumilite casting of worthless wood that we did in a pressure pot. Very first blank was a winner-can't say that always happens when I take on a new project.

oneptbuk

I've decided to go in another direction.

Making a Universal pen blank mold.wmv - YouTube

I do have and use some of the other molds when I want to run a production line type process. They are very good products. But if I want to cast a blank for a kit once or twice, one at a time, I make my own universal mold.

Coincidentally, I just bought some of that molding product yesterday for other casting projects with my kids, but I hadn't thought of using the delrin plugs for tube in needs. Thanks for that idea, I've managed to destroy my resin saver molds due to tube in failures of late. Nice vid.

Top Bottom