My first of 2023

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Peterpasha

Peterpasha

It's been a long time since I turned anything. I had to take apart my workshop last fall cause we were changing from an oil furnace to propane and then just as I was getting organized to start turning again, we broke a water pipe and I had to enter the Year of Reno Hell. I've had some extended time off this fall from work and was able to get set up again. This is the first pen I've turned since the spring of 2022. The barrel is brass which is then copper electroplated and patinaed. I basically had to relearn my whole process again, but I am pleased with the results. I use a clear gloss spray lacquer to fix the patina sections before finishing with CA. Moving forward, I'd like to get away from using CA to finish, mainly cause I don't want to develop any sensitivities to it. I would like to find a way to use clear epoxy if I can find a method that isn't as wasteful.
406449008_10168597746360525_4771973262705179884_n.jpg
406472085_10168597746245525_5315414192565816569_n.jpg
406481452_10168597746185525_4381626518443276815_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

I love the effect you have there.
One thing I'll say in defense of a CA finish is that it is much harder than epoxy would be, and can be polished to a much higher gloss. Have you tried several coats of lacquer and then polish that?

Woodchipper

Very unique pen. Thanks for the description and process.
Good move for the furnace as propane is only exceeded by natural gas in efficiency.
Fine Engineer, do you have to wait a long time for the lacquer to dry/cure? Have heard 24 hours.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love the unique visual. I also relate to the gap in shop time due to 'life.' Well done and thank you for sharing. đź‘Ť đź‘Ť

Lew

Have you ever tried melamine lacquer? There was a discussion about it here within the last couple of weeks. It might be what you're looking for. By the way, love the pen!

Fine Engineer

Very unique pen. Thanks for the description and process.
Good move for the furnace as propane is only exceeded by natural gas in efficiency.
Fine Engineer, do you have to wait a long time for the lacquer to dry/cure? Have heard 24 hours.
Lacquer is interesting in the way it cures. It dries to the touch very quickly, like 3-5 minutes. This means you can put on several coats fairly quickly. You don't have to though as the solvent in the new coat will dissolve the previous coat and bond fully with an existing finish. It does take 24+ hours to fully cure though. On a furniture site, they recommend waiting at least 24 hours before assembling finished parts as earlier than that and the finish of both parts will bond to each other. For making pens, I don't see this as an issue though. Here's a link to a site regarding lacquer finishes; https://kmtools.com/blogs/news/how-...ur cure time: Since,drawer until the next day.

There are other finishes you could use as well, like the clear coat used on flooring. To keep the gloss finish on a pen, you need a material that is harder than epoxy.

Here's another finish that might be worth looking at. This woodworker makes wood and epoxy furniture, and coats all projects with this as a last step. He swears by this stuff. Don't be put off by the cost as this stuff will last a long time just coating pens instead of a big table.

Kcimdrib

A great Pen and what a start to a new journey.
Like you I rarely use CA but I do use Melamine Laquer 3_4 coats then leave 24 hours to harden then finish with Microcrystalline Wax.
I also use Friction Polish on wood again wax finish.
Have a great Chrismas and Good luck for 2024.

Top Bottom