My buffing lathe died a horrible death.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

To any of our electrican members, My Jet 1014 vs that I used as a dedicated buffing station kicked the bucket. Control panel tried to burn itself up. I've had this lathe 15 or so years and the control panel is around $300.... and is out of stock everywhere I've looked. I can't see spending that kind of money on it anyway.
My wheels got to spinning and wondering if I could the motor be hooked up to run single speed, which is all I'd need to use as a buffer.
I'll appreciate any and all advice... I'm not proud.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

I have this on one of my jet 1014 lathes. It' s just shy of plug and play.

Are you sure that you didnt just wear out the motor brushes?

jttheclockman

Why do you need a lathe to do buffing is my question. Many years ago I took an old sump pump motor and converted to a polishing station and have used that for many many years for my scrollsaw projects. Tried buffing pen blanks on it and found polishing like that such a huge waste of time. In my eyes there is no difference in shine than what you can do with auto polish or any other plastic polish on a lathe for pen blanks.

Curly

Try contacting http://olduhfguy.com/# . He repairs the circuit boards of mini metal lathes and might be able to repair yours if it is the board that is the problem. It can't be much different from the ones in the metal lathes. Got nothing to loose by asking.

I believe the board would be needed to run at a fixed speed.

mick

No the board is actually burned in a couple of places. I can still smell it in the shop. 🤭

mick

I needed to run into Harbor Freight earlier today and got to looking at their 2 wheel buffer. $70 so I picked it up. The dead Jet will be relegated to the isle of misfit toys. I never used my brown rouge, or whatever it's called, so I won't miss the 3rd wheel.

mick

I finally broke down and ordered one of these. Is yours still working OK. Just curious.

InkyMike

Even though you bought a buffer, you should be able to run the motor at single speed for an additional buffing station if you need it.

monophoto

Try contacting http://olduhfguy.com/# . He repairs the circuit boards of mini metal lathes and might be able to repair yours if it is the board that is the problem. It can't be much different from the ones in the metal lathes. Got nothing to loose by asking.

I believe the board would be needed to run at a fixed speed.
Agree - the motor is probably DC and as a minimum you need rectification.

TonyL

I use a Rikon 70 something as a dedicated buffing station. I also accidently bought a switch switch that controls the speed (I thought I was buying an on-off switch). Anyway, I plugged the lathe plug into the FS plug and now I can control the buffing wheel speed with my foot. How about a harbor freight lathe as a buffing station - lower cost?

Top Bottom