mini goblet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from markgum

markgum

wanted to see what I could do with the end of a pen blank.
trying to create as mini unique things that as I can;

tn_mini%20goblet.jpg

yeah; a little off center, the end was not straight but it gives it character.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

I bet that was difficult. How did you mount it to turn? One thing I noticed is the base is larger in diameter than the cup, should be the other way around or equal.

Great job by the way!

markgum

Originally posted by fiferb

I bet that was difficult. How did you mount it to turn? One thing I noticed is the base is larger in diameter than the cup, should be the other way around or equal.

Great job by the way!

it was mounted in a set of Nova Pin Jaws. However, there wasn't much for it to hold onto. My son, said; "Dad, your crazy it's going to fly out of there". With it not being very straight the vibration was crazy.

fiferb

Mark,
I've been wanting to try this but haven't had the nerve yet. I don't have pin jaws so I need to figure a way to mount them as well.

markgum

I found a set of mini-turing tools on e-bay. Not a GREAT set but for the price and wanting to experiment, felt it was a good deal. I did use a full size tool to get the basic shape.

mwwoodworks

Good job on the mini! Are you trying to mount the whole pen blank? I turn mini's a lot and I use the nova 4 jaw chuck to hold the blank and just have enough sticking out that I need for the piece. www.mwwoodworks.com
Also, when I turn a pen, I usually have a little chunk left over. I superglue that chunk to a piece of corian that I mount in the chuck and turn. I have also found that I can make better tools for mini's than I can buy. (From nails and dental picks sharpened with the dremel.) I have just started experimenting with sub miniature spinning tops. the smallest one I have thus far is (crap! was) 7mm tall and 5mm in diameter. It even spun. :( The last time I spun it, I timed how long it turned and I got about 20 seconds out of it. Not bad for something that tiny! LOL (Notice the change to past tense. I just broke it trying to take a good picture of it.)

Tom McMillan

I also use a 4 jaw chuck for mounting my blanks. I try to use as short a piece as possible. For a lot of my minis I use a regular pen blanks, and sometimes a little larger.

Hey, MWWoodworks (Mark also)---great to see you here!! Your website looks great---gotta work on doing one soon.

If anyone's interested we have a miniature turning forum at cdhm.org that I moderate. I'm not sure if you have to join or not, but if so, it's free to join.

mwwoodworks

Tom! How have you been?! I hope all is well? How are the mini's going on ebay? Last time I checked, it looked like all the seller's went to the store/buy it now way? Have the buyers slowed down for the summer? I seem to remember it being pretty slow during summer and much busier in the winter months? I haven't had much time to turn hardly anything here lately, much less the time to list anything on ebay! It sure is nice hearing from you again! Hope to talk to you again soon! I will drop into cdhm when I get a chance!

Mark

Top Bottom