Micro Mesh vs. Tri-M-Ite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Lately I've been using 3M Tri-M-Ite polishing paper, and been getting good results. There are six grades. Just for fun, I decided to try Micro Mesh again, but only using every other pad, for a total of five grades. I think the MM is giving as good results as the 3M, maybe slightly better. With both, I finish them with Meguiar's 105 then 205.

Attachments

• 050_Tri-M-Ite.jpg
    050_Tri-M-Ite.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 051_Tri-M-Ite.jpg
    051_Tri-M-Ite.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 052_105.jpg
    052_105.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 053_105.jpg
    053_105.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 054_205.jpg
    054_205.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 055_205.jpg
    055_205.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 055_MM.jpg
    055_MM.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 056_MM.jpg
    056_MM.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 057_105.jpg
    057_105.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 217
  • 058_105.jpg
    058_105.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 059_205.jpg
    059_205.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 060_205.jpg
    060_205.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

I've tried both and chosen to make the transition from Micromesh to Tri-M-ite for pens.

This is not because I can tell the difference between the results I get using *new* Micromesh and *new* Tri-M-ite paper - it's because I could never bring myself to use those expensive Micromesh pads once and once only.

I cut the Tri-M-ite into strips about 3/4" wide and 2" long and use them once, then straight into the trash. Always have a new cutting face, don't get the ebony dust from the previous pen smudged into the holly of the next one, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

qquake

I have never heard of Tri-M-ite. I look forward to trying it. I do question only using micromesh once. I have done many, many pens from the same set of pads.

Seven
Same with me. I'll use the same set of pads until the finish starts to suffer.

howsitwork

Not got a lot of experience of MM on wood or composite wood hybrids but I use Mm repeatedly with lots of washing and get good results on plastics. Never tried the 3M stuff yet so can't compare.

I use MM in strips so far , only just got a set of pads to tryout.

EricRN

Same with me. I'll use the same set of pads until the finish starts to suffer.

Yeah. Me too. I can usually extend the life by cleaning them off with some water and an old toothbrush.

duncsuss

Looks like everyone misunderstood what I wrote, so for clarity: I never threw out a set of Micromesh pads after using them once.

Like everyone else, I used them and washed them "until the finish starts to suffer" - my entire point being that's too late. By switching to Tri-Mite, I never reach the point where the finish suffers.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I've tried both and chosen to make the transition from Micromesh to Tri-M-ite for pens.

This is not because I can tell the difference between the results I get using *new* Micromesh and *new* Tri-M-ite paper - it's because I could never bring myself to use those expensive Micromesh pads once and once only.

I cut the Tri-M-ite into strips about 3/4" wide and 2" long and use them once, then straight into the trash. Always have a new cutting face, don't get the ebony dust from the previous pen smudged into the holly of the next one, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

I'm curious, do you, and maybe others have the idea that MM / MM pads are primarily for one time use only? That is what I was reading in your post.

As to dust transferring, I have never had that problem in 16 years of pen making and using MM. Of course, I clean them, which is what is intended with MM. MM is/was designed for use multiple times.

egnald

Greetings. I haven't tried the 3M Tri-M-Ite yet, but I too have used my MM pads many many times. Even with that, being on the frugal side, I bought a bunch of the 2x3-inch sets and cut them down into 1-1/2 by 2 inch pieces instead of paying the premium for the 2x2 pads. The 2x3's were less expensive than the 2x2's to start with, then I got double the product by cutting them down. - Dave

eharri446

I buy the the 3X4 kit and cut them in half get four times the pads for the price of one. I also clean them periodically with warm soapy water then spread them out on a towel to dry. When using I spray then with water just before using them. The only complaint that I have with the pads is that if you get to aggressive with sanding the abrasive will come off on you blank.

philipff

A set if pads i use must be antiques! I keep soaking them in water before us and occasionally brush them with an old and soft toothbrush. They seem as good to me as new, but then, I am a bit of a cheap-skate! P.

darrin1200

I use the 3x4 micro mesh pads, cut into 1x2 pieces. So each gives me 6 pads.

Does anyone know where I can get the Tri-M-ite polishing paper in Canada? I'd like to try it, but a set of sheets from RioGrande, costs as much to ship as the set, and I won't get it until February or March.

duncsuss

I use the 3x4 micro mesh pads, cut into 1x2 pieces. So each gives me 6 pads.

Does anyone know where I can get the Tri-M-ite polishing paper in Canada? I'd like to try it, but a set of sheets from RioGrande, costs as much to ship as the set, and I won't get it until February or March.

Hey Darrin - I'll fix you up with some. PM here or through FB and we can work something out.

darrin1200

How much is Micro Mesh in Canada?
A 9 piece package of the 3x4 pads is $44. But I get six 1x4 sets and I do reuse them. I am actually getting ready to use a new set.

While I plan on cutting up the 3m sheets to 3/4x2 strips, I will be using each piece once and throwing it away.

PreacherJon

I don't understand using Micro Mesh pads only once? I've been using the same pads for about 6 years now. I make about 30 or so pens a year... So I'm not high volume. But I have not problem with them. If I use dry, I clap three times on them after use to clear debris. If wet... just rinse them out in clean water.

duncsuss

I don't understand using Micro Mesh pads only once? I've been using the same pads for about 6 years now. I make about 30 or so pens a year... So I'm not high volume. But I have not problem with them. If I use dry, I clap three times on them after use to clear debris. If wet... just rinse them out in clean water.

That's not what I meant. If you read my next post I explain:

Like everyone else, I used them and washed them "until the finish starts to suffer" - my entire point being that's too late. By switching to Tri-Mite, I never reach the point where the finish suffers.

leehljp

Member Liaison
That's not what I meant. If you read my next post I explain:

In reading your description, I imagine that your technique is similar to mine, I let the sanding paper/pad do the cutting with very little pressure from the hand. If yours is technique is like mine, I can see what you are writing.

But for me, as MM wears, I do apply a bit more pressure, but not much. For instance, I found that 3200 wears and is less effective as a 3200, but it is effective as a 4800 or even 6000, providing I have not applied too much pressure and "burned" the MM. I haven't had finish to suffer as a result of mm wearing. I start using 12000 early as I like a used 12000 because it is more fine. A used 12000, with proper technique is like using a 14000 and is similar to buffing or even polishing (with a drop of water.) For me, an MM grade just moves up one or two notches with use.

BTW, I don't use a drop of water 99% of the time as it can cause problems, so I am very selective on this point.

duncsuss

I haven't had finish to suffer as a result of mm wearing.

Hank, about 80% of my concern has been material embedded in the pads. The other 20% is the grit wearing and no longer cutting "like new", which can be somewhat overcome as you say by pressing a little harder or sanding a little longer.

The bottom line for me is that using Tri-Mite, I don't have those concerns any more, and I get equal (if not better) finishes every time.

Top Bottom