Looking for new lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Emery

I know this is a pen forum, but I also know many of you are generalized wood turners. I'm considering getting a larger lathe for bowl work etc. I would like at least 16 inches over the bed with the ability to turn out board as well. I'm looking at several models but would prefer to wait to reveal them in order to get unbiased recommendations. I would appreciate any suggestions and/or guidance in this decision. Thanks in advance, Emery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randy pote

i bought a nove dvr xp back a few months ago will never reget buying it is a solid machine but i replaced a craftsman .

Marc

I like the Nova 2024, a bit pricier than the XP but has cast iron legs included, 5000 rpm's and runs so smooth you can balance a nickel on its edge and it won't fall over while the lathe is turning.

The DVR XP has the advantage of either 110/120 or 22/240. It has higher horse power at the 220/240. Both are awesome lathes in my opinion. I like Nova's warranty and customer service department, both of those are superior.

lucky13

I friend of mine has a VB36 from VB Manufacturing, that I have use a couple of times. For a bowl turning lathe for large bowls I don't think you can beat this lathe. just my opinion.

PaulDoug

If the DVR is more than you want to spend, they have the 1624 Nova which is a great lathe. Changing belt is a snap and it occasionally goes on sale for less the $1000 usually at the $899 area. If you want the VS the DVR is great. I personally know several that have it and have had it for several years and they all are very satisfied. Course if money is not an issue, the Powermatic, is awesome. Money not being an issue, I'd look hard at the Sweet 16 by Robust or any of the many other high end lathes.

walshjp17

I bought a Jet 1642 (the 110v. version). 1 1/2 HP, head can be turned around to do outboard turning, cast iron legs. No regrets whatsoever (other than 4224 mustard envy :wink:)

It is often on sale, e.g., Woodcraft has 15% off for Father's Day this weekend.

MarkD

I recently decided to upgrade so that I could do larger bowls, etc. After much research I purchased a PowerMatic PM3520B on sale.

ffloyd

The PM 3520B is a lot of lathe for the money. I have the Jet 1642 2hp and am upgrading to the PM 3520B to get the greater swing over the bed as well as more weight.

The VB36 is the premier bowl lathe, but if your budget will stretch to $7500, the PM 4224 has everything you would ever need.

Emery

Thanks to everyone. When I started the thread I was debating the Nova 1620 vs the Jet 1642. Im now leaning to the Powermatic 3520. If anyone has other ideas or further comments I welcome them.

raar25

I bought the Nova DVR and it is so quiet and smooth I sometimes have a hard time telling its running. I can actually hear my radio now (if it wasnt for the dust collector :) ). I cant tell you what a pleasure it is to work on, so just go for it. You can get it on sale just under $2000.

dogcatcher

I bought an old Delta, I added a variable speed motor, 0 to 3000RPM, with reverse. Total cost of the lathe and motor was less than $300. That includes new bearings, paint job and some extra tool rests.

Top Bottom