Looking for a good "economical" rollerball pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGABEL

I am sure there will be a lot of opinions, but I am looking to turn some rollerball pens. As my market tends to be a little less affluent I would like kits that do not start with a high price tag. I saw a post here with some magnetic Zen "clones" from Crooked Mill Woodworking that are $9.01 for the kit. Then there is the Eco Zen from Exotic that is $8.50. (Looks like a Craft Supplies kit, but they do not have it on their website). Any experience with these or other thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Not an easy question to answer. It is not the rollerball part for you can always change out the refills. It is a choice you have to make for what strikes your fancy. The same rules apply for rollerball kits as they do for ballpoint pens in quality of the platings. If you are familiar with that then just look through the web sites and have at it. You mention Zen kits. They are a magnetic top and that is what their claim to fame is. Any screw top works just as well. Some people say the ink dries fast in the magnetic cap because of the air infiltration. Not a sealed cap.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I like the Zen with its magnetic cap. The main thing to know is that the original Zen is a Dayacom kit and their kits are generally regarded as high quality. Xiamen Rizheng has also introduced a kit by the same name that is about half the price. Some suppliers call it an Eco Zen, some call it a Zen II, some just call it a Zen. Both versions use the same tube & bushings. The price pretty much tells you which is which.

I have only used the Dayacom kits, so I can't comment on the quality of the Rizheng kits.

egnald

My everyday pocket pen for the last year or more has been one of the Rollester rollerballs from PSI. It is not without it's issues though, primarily the fit and sometimes straightness of the snap on cap. I got mine in the starter set from PSI for about $6.75 per pen otherwise the cost just under $8.00.

For the two-part (more traditional) rollerball style, I prefer Smitty's Caballero kits, now available from Ed at Exotic Blanks. Most plating options are available for about $13.00 or so. Ed also carries the Diamond Knurl Rollerballs for about the same price. I also use less expensive Jr. Gentleman kits from Legacy Woodturning (The Woodturning Store) for about $6.00; however, the quality or at least perceived quality of the Caballero is worth the difference in my opinion.

One of the things I do with almost all of the rollerball pens I make and use or give away is to replace the refill with a gel ink rather than the standard liquid rollerball ink refills. My favorite is the Pilot G-2.

Regards,
Dave

KenB259

I have a little different take on this for you to think about. Cheap pen kits are cheap for a reason, likewise the kits that cost more are also more expensive for a reason. When I sell a pen to someone I'm assuming they are going to show that pen to multiple people. The price between a cheap pen kit and a decent one is not that much. When that person shows their pen off I want all lookers to be wowed and possibly want a pen also. I also understand your market dictates what you can ask but I don't want to be known as the guy that sells cheap pens. The cheap Zens that have been mentioned are known to have sub par magnets and therefore caps that easily fall off. Now I make all my own blanks others do not. If I were buying a fancy segmented blank or expensive cast blank I would have a hard time putting that on a cheap pen kit. I don't do high volume, that comes into play too. Just some things to think about.

jttheclockman

I have a little different take on this for you to think about. Cheap pen kits are cheap for a reason, likewise the kits that cost more are also more expensive for a reason. When I sell a pen to someone I'm assuming they are going to show that pen to multiple people. The price between a cheap pen kit and a decent one is not that much. When that person shows their pen off I want all lookers to be wowed and possibly want a pen also. I also understand your market dictates what you can ask but I don't want to be known as the guy that sells cheap pens. The cheap Zens that have been mentioned are known to have sub par magnets and therefore caps that easily fall off. Now I make all my own blanks others do not. If I were buying a fancy segmented blank or expensive cast blank I would have a hard time putting that on a cheap pen kit. I don't do high volume, that comes into play too. Just some things to think about.
Wow just had this same conversation with another member here the last 2 days. He asked what rollerball kits I used and told him somewhat you just said. I am going to spend hours making a nice blank I am putting on a highend kit and I know that if shown people would love it. Those kits are not for all pen makers but what Ken says is something to think about when selling your pens.

MTViper

I've turned a lot of Churchill (large) and Sedona (medium) rollerballs and fountain pens, available from several distributors. I like their simple, classic lines. These are in the $12-15 range for the kit. I have not tried them yet, but I like the looks of the Diamond Knurl (Exotic Blanks). They will be my next choice for economic rollerballs.

qquake

I've turned several of the Crooked Mill magnetic, in both the straight and "crooked" clip versions. I like them.

Attachments

• 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 74

RGABEL

Thanks for all the suggestions and insight. I should have been a little clearer with my statement on high starting price. I do not do this as a "living" but rather more as a hobby and something to keep me occupied. My goal is to "fund the hobby" with my sales of various wood turnings and other crafts. I enjoy working in the shop on all types of projects. For me it beats sitting in front of the TV.

My typical market tolerance is likely around $45.00 for a pen at the upper end. More typical is the $25 to $35 range (although I am looking to go to more affluent areas). I saw some Rollerball kits with $25 and higher price tags which is what I was trying to avoid. I ended up purchasing some of the Diamond Knurl kits from Exotic Blanks. These seem to have a good review and are in a good price range.

Thanks again

KenB259

Thanks for all the suggestions and insight. I should have been a little clearer with my statement on high starting price. I do not do this as a "living" but rather more as a hobby and something to keep me occupied. My goal is to "fund the hobby" with my sales of various wood turnings and other crafts. I enjoy working in the shop on all types of projects. For me it beats sitting in front of the TV.

My typical market tolerance is likely around $45.00 for a pen at the upper end. More typical is the $25 to $35 range (although I am looking to go to more affluent areas). I saw some Rollerball kits with $25 and higher price tags which is what I was trying to avoid. I ended up purchasing some of the Diamond Knurl kits from Exotic Blanks. These seem to have a good review and are in a good price range.

Thanks again
Those are really nice pens and they allow for a lot of customization.

cl1237

My budget rollerball is the Traditional rollerball from PSI. They cost around $8. They have a snap cap as opposed to a screw on cap. I was concerned about longevity, but I gave one to a nurse at work you had been using it daily without any issues

RDH79

I like the Zen with its magnetic cap. The main thing to know is that the original Zen is a Dayacom kit and their kits are generally regarded as high quality. Xiamen Rizheng has also introduced a kit by the same name that is about half the price. Some suppliers call it an Eco Zen, some call it a Zen II, some just call it a Zen. Both versions use the same tube & bushings. The price pretty much tells you which is which.

I have only used the Dayacom kits, so I can't comment on the quality of the Rizheng kits.
I have 2 of the Xiamen kits and the magnet is not as strong. So I use the Dayscom kits

derekdd

I have 2 of the Xiamen kits and the magnet is not as strong. So I use the Dayscom kits
That's really good to know.

Do you like any of the other Xiamen kits? I've considered ordering from them to save a few bucks but that 1 month shipping is a bit long.

RDH79

I have brand new 3 of the cheap Zens and the magnetic will not hold the cap on.

Top Bottom