Single Tube 27/64 Pen Kits (Sierra Styles)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Hello fellow IAP members,

I expect a lot of varying answers, but I really would appreciate your input. Both your personal preferences as well as insight from those of you that sell pens as to what your customer base seems to prefer.

Here is the why. In my opinion I have too broad of a variety of kits. I am hoping to 1) reduce the variety in my inventory and 2) increase the inventory of the individual kits that remain.

I currently have a lot of Gatsby kits with 5 or 6 different platings (PSI) and a few Gatsby Click kits.
I also have a few Wall Street II (WoodCraft), Mesa (WoodTurningZ), Monarch (Turner's Warehouse), and a few Viceroy (The Woodturning Store) kits.
I have a a bunch of Elegant Monarch kits (Classic Nib) with Cross Bands and a few with Circle Bands
I have a project box of Prism kits - mostly Red & Chrome and Red & Gold at the moment (Exotic Blanks)

So, here are my "keepers" at this point:

Elegant Monarch kits with Cross Bands (Classic Nib)
I like the Cross bands especially with BOW, the plating options, especially that both "colors" are metal (no black plastic)

Prism kits (Exotic Blanks)
I like the colors, especially for use with Thin Line blanks to support Law Enforcement, Firefighters, etc.
Although I've been contemplating using them up and switching to the "Thank You" series (Exotic Blanks)

I have seriously been thinking of trade/swap/gift/PITH-ing almost everything else I have in favor of one or two other styles in addition to the two I listed already. My first inkling (do you like how I tried to inject a pun there, ink-ling), is to pick one or two basic styles from Ed at Exotic Blanks. Today I am leaning towards the Diamond Knurl Ballpoints, especially the ones that are two platings (no black plastic). Coming in at second would be the Le Roi Royale kits (Smitty's Pen Works / Exotic Blanks) because of their style with the long body (and no black plastic)

So, there you have it. What do you think about my plan and what would you recommend for kit styles?

Regards,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bugradx2

is this based on what's not selling or what you don't like to make?

Curiosity is driving the question.

I'm going to have to clean out a bit before I can buy more...

egnald

is this based on what's not selling or what you don't like to make?

Curiosity is driving the question.

I'm going to have to clean out a bit before I can buy more...
Hi Kent,

To answer your question, I don't sell pens, but I do gift them and I like to do PITH exchanges with other IAP members so whether or not something is selling doesn't really matter to me. Many in IAP would call me a collector which is pretty accurate for both blanks and for kits.

I do like to make all of these Sierra style kits. They are virtually identical and are quick to build because they only have a single tube, you can make two from a single blank, they all use the same 27/64 drill bit and the same 0.470 inch bushings. The only real differences are kind of cursory like the type of plating, the look of their finial/cap, and the design of their center bands.

I'm pretty much in the camp of your final comment. I want to clean out a bit before I can buy more. Curiosity is also the reason behind my post. I am hoping to get input related to Sierra styles that I'm not familiar with, kit brands that I've heard of but don't have any personal experience with (like the Diamond Knurl Ballpoints and Le Roi Royale), and input on what Sierra styles other members prefer and why.

Dave

PS Although I like making Sierra styles, up at the top of my favorite styles would have to be the Jr. Gent type of Rollerballs and the Cigar styles.

Kenny Durrant

I get exactly what you're saying Dave. When I first started pen turning it wasn't long before they started coming out with a new kit as fast as they could spit them out. Anyway it didn't take long before I decided to stick with a few popular kits unless someone wanted a special pen. I like the WallStreet 2 Elegant Beauty because of the larger tube diameter and I can get them locally the day I need one. I really like the EDC kits. Different platings and a long tube to show off you work. Not a fan of all the plating's having a silver clip. The other kits are the Tritons and Majestic Jr. With those kits I can pretty much take care of everyone's wants. Then there's the 30 cal Bolt Action. Last but not least I have a bunch of copper slimline kits. I use those with spent 308 shell casings to give out to military and first responders.

Curly

I like the Sirocco by Beaufort Ink. William Wood-Write and Turners Warehouse have them. Well made, finial twist, little shorter overall compared to the Sierras.

IMG_6120.jpg

Pete

KenB259

Once my current stash of Gatsby's are gone, I will probably only offer Coyote or Liberty pens, in this style, from Mackenzie Penworks. Yes they are a little more expensive, doesn't bother me to much because I sell pens. I pay more, you pay more, simple as that. The reasons I like these the best are simply the quality is there, no plastic, click, pens have the Schmidt SKM88 mechanism , customer service from Tim is also unparalleled. Now if I were just giving them away, I'd probably look at something cheaper.

jttheclockman

I have thought about this at some time myself. The problem is I have a ton of Sierra old style kits and yes I like them but what is driving me away from them is the tranny and the way it is installed. For years you would hear this complaint on this site and still do on occasion. The complaint is the tranny becomes lose after turning so many times because it is a body twist. Then the tranny works its way up into the cap and now the refill does not protrude. When I sell these kits I always tighten the tranny with a pair of pliers and I always told my customers to do the same. You can not lock it down with loctite because that is how the refill is replaced. So I lean now alot more to top finial kits of various kinds. That is what i look for. I still make the old Sierra and Sierra vistas and in fact have about 3 in process now because the vista has plenty of meat for casting things.

derekdd

When I first got back into turning around the first of the year, I sure noticed the plethora of kits similar to the Sierra.

I wound up choosing the PSI Executive BP because it uses a longer tube than the rest I've seen.

If I'm going to turn something like an exotic or patterned acrylic, I'd rather there be more of that material than the metal of the components.

I do like some of the etching details I see on some of the Sierra like kits. Either way, it's nice to have choices.

bugradx2

Hi Kent,

To answer your question, I don't sell pens, but I do gift them and I like to do PITH exchanges with other IAP members so whether or not something is selling doesn't really matter to me. Many in IAP would call me a collector which is pretty accurate for both blanks and for kits.

I do like to make all of these Sierra style kits. They are virtually identical and are quick to build because they only have a single tube, you can make two from a single blank, they all use the same 27/64 drill bit and the same 0.470 inch bushings. The only real differences are kind of cursory like the type of plating, the look of their finial/cap, and the design of their center bands.

I'm pretty much in the camp of your final comment. I want to clean out a bit before I can buy more. Curiosity is also the reason behind my post. I am hoping to get input related to Sierra styles that I'm not familiar with, kit brands that I've heard of but don't have any personal experience with (like the Diamond Knurl Ballpoints and Le Roi Royale), and input on what Sierra styles other members prefer and why.

Dave

PS Although I like making Sierra styles, up at the top of my favorite styles would have to be the Jr. Gent type of Rollerballs and the Cigar styles.
Thanks very much Dave.

I've got an EB Diamond Knurl body twist as my daily writer that a good friend gave me several years ago before I got into turning. (long time woodworker, new turner) I actually prefer body twist over finial twist so I lean towards the diamond knurls when looking at options.

I've made quite a few cigars too and like how much they show off a neat blank. My only issue with a cigar is it seems to almost want to show the hint of a gap between the two bodies but no one else seems to say that. I'm going to chalk that up to the newbie making them and still learning.

I've made probably 3 or 4 diamond knurl rollerballs this summer almost exclusively because of some of your posts showing how they look. Thanks for that because they've become a favorite.

Kent

egnald

Thanks very much Dave.

I've got an EB Diamond Knurl body twist as my daily writer that a good friend gave me several years ago before I got into turning. (long time woodworker, new turner) I actually prefer body twist over finial twist so I lean towards the diamond knurls when looking at options.

I've made quite a few cigars too and like how much they show off a neat blank. My only issue with a cigar is it seems to almost want to show the hint of a gap between the two bodies but no one else seems to say that. I'm going to chalk that up to the newbie making them and still learning.

I've made probably 3 or 4 diamond knurl rollerballs this summer almost exclusively because of some of your posts showing how they look. Thanks for that because they've become a favorite.

Kent

Kent,
I hear you about the Cigar style. When I do the final assembly on a Cigar style I make it a point to really SNAP the top onto the bottom in the last 1/2 inch or so - I think it helps with the "hint of a gap" you were referring to.

My earlier Cigar pens also had fit problem where the lower blank met up with the center band. This stopped being an issue for me about a year ago when I discovered Ed Brown's Improved Fit Bushings for the Cigar pen from Exotic Blanks. I don't know if you are aware of them, but Ed has a really good YouTube video that explains the situation. It's called "Cigar Pen Design Improvement".

Thanks for letting me know about your Diamond Knurl experience. I really like the Diamond Knurl Rollerball style, so maybe I should buy a few of the Diamond Knurl ballpoints and give them a try.

Regards,
Dave

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I like the Prisms as well, and in general, I prefer the small metal Sierra styles with flat tops. However, I did buy a bunch of standard Sierra kits recently when Berea was running a 50% off sale. I don't sell pens either, and I give away most of the ones that I make, so scoring a bunch of kits under $5 each was too good to pass up.

My wife really likes the Lancer kit. I used to get them from Woodturningz, but the only place I can find them now is Houtdraaiwerken.

Not 27/64, but for single tube kits, I also like the Aero and the Patriot/Carbera/Atlas/Polaris kits. Stylish and a little shorter than the Sierras.

egnald

I like the Prisms as well, and in general, I prefer the small metal Sierra styles with flat tops. However, I did buy a bunch of standard Sierra kits recently when Berea was running a 50% off sale. I don't sell pens either, and I give away most of the ones that I make, so scoring a bunch of kits under $5 each was too good to pass up.

My wife really likes the Lancer kit. I used to get them from Woodturningz, but the only place I can find them now is Houtdraaiwerken.

Not 27/64, but for single tube kits, I also like the Aero and the Patriot/Carbera/Atlas/Polaris kits. Stylish and a little shorter than the Sierras.
Thanks for your comments. I've been looking at Smitty's Le Roi Royale at Exotic Blanks. I like that it has a longer tube and is similar to the Polaris - it uses a 3/8 drill bit. I think Exotic Blanks also carries the Lancer. - Dave

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks for your comments. I've been looking at Smitty's Le Roi Royale at Exotic Blanks. I like that it has a longer tube and is similar to the Polaris - it uses a 3/8 drill bit. I think Exotic Blanks also carries the Lancer. - Dave
Thanks - somehow I missed that Exotic Blanks Carrie's it. I'll definitely add it to the app database.

I suspect that the current Lancers are a Chinese version of the original kit that Woodturningz used to carry, but they look identical.

So uh... There's those awesome Liberty (Sierra based) and Coyote (3/8" tube) at McKenzie Penworks... solid stainless, no plating to wear off on those gifts you're giving folks and they're made in the US. We're a bit more pricy than the other kits but you'll never have to worry about the gift receiver having plating fail, etc. (I prefer the click personally but we offer both twist and click)

bugradx2

Kent,
I hear you about the Cigar style. When I do the final assembly on a Cigar style I make it a point to really SNAP the top onto the bottom in the last 1/2 inch or so - I think it helps with the "hint of a gap" you were referring to.

My earlier Cigar pens also had fit problem where the lower blank met up with the center band. This stopped being an issue for me about a year ago when I discovered Ed Brown's Improved Fit Bushings for the Cigar pen from Exotic Blanks. I don't know if you are aware of them, but Ed has a really good YouTube video that explains the situation. It's called "Cigar Pen Design Improvement".

Thanks for letting me know about your Diamond Knurl experience. I really like the Diamond Knurl Rollerball style, so maybe I should buy a few of the Diamond Knurl ballpoints and give them a try.

Regards,
Dave
At some point this spring Ed told me about the improved fit on their cigar bushings. I watched the video and immediately ordered a set of them after watching it because I had the same thought in my head that you and Ed did.

The diamond knurl ballpoints are body twist, not finial twist so they go together a little different but are very fast to assemble. The attached phot is one I made for my wife earlier this year. The blank is one of the italian paper blanks from Exotic Blanks also.

Thanks
Kent

Italian paper TI gold and gun metal side view 2-14-23.jpg

Top Bottom