Looking for a blank.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Psychmike22

Hello IAP,
I have been looking for a blank for a while and can't seem to find it. I was looking for tortoise shell style blanks and haven't quite found what I was looking for. Then I saw it in the Esterbrook Estie. They call it honeycomb. Does anyone know where I can find something similar

Thanks in advance for your time.
86D70B5C-420D-4D5E-A0C6-2B85214DEC62.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You will have best luck looking through vendors acrylic blanks called tortoise shell style blanks. If you google honeycomb all you will get is those metal encased honey combed blanks. Good luck. There are quite a few out there.

JohnU

Looks like a Conway Stewart blank. Exoticblanks carries them but it is random what colors they get in and I didn't see anything similar to that at the moment.

jrista

I just turned a pen that has a blank pretty much the same as that. I forget exact blank name, although I am pretty sure it is this one:

Here is a Wall Street type pen I turned with it, so you can see the color I ended up with:

Caramel Popcorn Pen Example-1.jpg

The blank originally started out with more of a coppery look, like the photo from Woodcraft's site. As such, I thought it would go superbly with this copper pen kit. Once it was turned and polished, however, it just had a more orange look to it.

sorcerertd

I just turned a pen that has a blank pretty much the same as that. I forget exact blank name, although I am pretty sure it is this one:

Here is a Wall Street type pen I turned with it, so you can see the color I ended up with:

View attachment 315239

The blank originally started out with more of a coppery look, like the photo from Woodcraft's site. As such, I thought it would go superbly with this copper pen kit. Once it was turned and polished, however, it just had a more orange look to it.
Wow, that looks quite different on the Woodcraft site. I like the end result better, though. Sorry, this doesn't really add to the thread, but I like that orange hue. It makes me think of marigolds.

jrista

Wow, that looks quite different on the Woodcraft site. I like the end result better, though. Sorry, this doesn't really add to the thread, but I like that orange hue. It makes me think of marigolds.

Thanks!

I don't know if it is a lighting thing or what. The original blank was orangish-copper on two sides, and very coppery on the other two sides. Basically, the sides that were cut were a bit more orange than the sides that were uncut. I don't know if there was something about how the lighting passes through the blank in photographs as well...in my hand, its not quite as orange as in the photo...but, the photo was a bit backlit, and I painted the tube a rusty reddish color, and I'm wondering if somehow subsurface scattering is enhancing the orange there.

Regardless, its an interesting blank! They have a few of them, in various colors.

TonyL

mrburls

Here is an Italian made blank I have that looks similar.
Picture of blank and two pens I made with it.
Keith

Attachments

• DSC_4622.JPG
    DSC_4622.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC_2647.JPG
    DSC_2647.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_2639 (2).JPG
    DSC_2639 (2).JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_6371.JPG
    DSC_6371.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 138

Psychmike22

View attachment 315239

This looks like it! Thank you.

Psychmike22

Close?

https://www.exoticblanks.com/caramel-popcorn-acrylic-pen-blank-choose-length.html?category_id=407

This has to be it because it's out of stock! Thanks.

mrburls

This looks like it exactly. Where did you get the blank?
I bought out a company selling pen supplies years ago. They didn't make it as a pen supply and were selling everything they had in storage.
I bought most of their pen blanks which they had made in Italy. I sold a number of them here on IAP a number of years ago.
I think the one I have is slightly different. It has a little bit of black webbing in it.
You can also vary the final color of pen by painting the inside of the tube.
Keith

Psychmike22

I bought out a company selling pen supplies years ago. They didn't make it as a pen supply and were selling everything they had in storage.
I bought most of their pen blanks which they had made in Italy. I sold a number of them here on IAP a number of years ago.
I think the one I have is slightly different. It has a little bit of black webbing in it.
You can also vary the final color of pen by painting the inside of the tube.
Keith
Thank you. I was planning on making it kitless. I ordered some blanks that were close from exotic blanks. I'm looking forward to working it out.

Top Bottom