Little batch of tool rests..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Though some of you guys might like to see these. I still have a 6" and 10" to build, but I ran out of 1" angle iron.

The tool posts are 1" CRS stock that I sweet talked the metal shop into chopping into 3" long pieces for me. The infills are maple with BLO on them. They fell kinda like a round bar rest, but also can sneak right up to the edge of the wood like a standard rest can. If the wood gets chewed up a quick pass on the belt sander makes it like new or worst case I can make a new infill quickly. Honestly, the one I have been using is no less "gouged" than any steel one I have been using and they are much nicer to the tools! :D

So for under $20, here are my 3" 4" 5" and 8" tool rests ready for turning.

lathe-rest-1.jpg

lathe-rest-2.jpg

lathe-rest-4.jpg

lathe-rest-5.jpg

lathe-rest-6.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I know it is easier to replace the wood if you ever need to but...just wondering why you didn't use the same round stock for the rest?

Firefyter-emt

Thanks guys, Dario... I used to have a full round tool post and I did not like how far away from the material I had to be. This design gives me the same feel like a round bar, but with the ability to ride close up to the wood. Plus, these are a LOT eaiser to make than the round "T"+

Cozee, to be honest I have not had a problem with them getting damaged with the maple, but you "could gouge and ding them if you had a catch.

However, I am not quite sure if I want to "build to sell", but if someone really wants one, drop me a PM and we can work something out.

Firefyter-emt

BTW, I am really liking that 3" rest. I can either turn one blank at a time, or better yet, work just one blank at a time and not have to go back and forth to get them down close to even. I am doing a Jr. Statesman right now and it's nice to sneak up on the lower barrel even closer than a 5" or 6" rest will allow. I really need the 6" rest for this kit though, the 5" is just a hair short for me. [:D]

I did notice that most all of the time I had my tool itself pretty much on the metal edge and not "on the arc"

Rifleman1776

My small tool rest resembles what you have. Only I just had the post welded to the bottom of the angle iron. Didn't drill any holes and don't have the 'infill'. I really don't understand the purpose of the wood infill. "sneaking up on the wood" is a puzzling statement. A standard tool rest is all iron or steel and sneaking up is a strange concept. The angle iron of mine works just fine. Once in a great while, I'll smooth off the top with a file, maybe once or twice a year. The local weld shop charges me $10.00 for these rests.
I posted a picture of it a long time ago, a search might bring it up.

Firefyter-emt

The infill is nice to guide my left index finger along when I am turning. You don't have to have it, but I do like it there and it does give a little more mass to absorb vibration, but I am not using the wood itself for most all of the turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom