Lathe tool/chisel storage/rack?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCustom

I wasn't sure where this should go. While a couple searches turned up threads where people were showing off various small tool holders for their lathe tools, none of them fit the bitt for what I'm looking for.

Basically, here's the issue, up until now, all of my lathe tools have been up on my peg-board. When I put them there, it was never meant to be a permanent solution, and the fact that my cats (I have 2) keep knocking them down is an affirmation that it shouldn't be. Fortunately, when they fall, they only fall a few inches onto my workbench. The other issue with them being on my peg-board is that the peg-board and lathe are the furthest two points in my shop coincidentally. It's gottan fairly annoying going back and forth for tools.

So here's what I want: I want some sort of rack, maybe a lazy susan of sorts that would hold all 25 or so of my lathe tools, plus have room for more in the future. It doesn't have to be a lazy susan, I just thought of that because it would need to be compact, so I could store it next to my lathe.

I was hoping to buy something already made, but it seems like nobody makes a lathe tool holder for sale. How can that be?

Please help me either find lathe tool holders that are for sale, mass manufactured, or some well known and respected plans for buiding a rack/storage device :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCustom

:eek: I feel like I asked something taboo.

I've come to the conclusion that I have 3 options for a lathe tool rack.

1) Make it myself.

Option 2 is slightly different:

2) Come up with a viable design and make it myself.

Option 3 is probably the best.

3) Wing it while making it myself.

Sound about right?

bitshird

AAW had a spread in a recent AAW Woodturners magazine the showed a great lazy Susan that was portable, looked to hold about 25 or 30 tools and looked not extremely difficult to construct with reasonable flat work skills, I just used construction adhesive on 1=1/2 and 2 inch PVC pipe and glued them to a shelf on a peg board in back of the lathe I use most often, hold 12 tools. leave the first inch of shavings in the bottom for cushioning.

whegge

I used 5/8 inch plywood for the walls in my shop so I could put tools anywhere I wanted.

The person I bought my lathe from had a tool panel that he built in between the legs of the lathe. I did not like it there, could not see the type of tool, but the piece of wood that he made was perfect. So I took that piece and mounted it to the wall right in front of me.

The piece of wood is about 1 inch thick, 2 inches wide and about 3 feet long. He then drilled 1 inch holes down the length far enough apart so that the tools were easy to grab. The holes are big enough so the farrel of the tool fits snugly in.

JimB

Not a taboo question at all. I think if you had posted it in the Shops, Tools, Jigs forum many more people would see it and you probably would have received a better response. You can also look in that forum. There are some threads in their with pictures of many things. There is even a thread or two of general shop pictures and you will see some tool racks.

As for me... they lay on a table next to my lathe. No fancy rack or anything.

Top Bottom