Attachments

• DSCN0441.jpg
    DSCN0441.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 373
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Gary, looks like I'm gonna have to come down again to help cut up another burl:wink:.

Gary Max

Right now we are cutting firewood every afternoon-----I hope to get one more load this week---I have 8 FP's I need to get done, they are sitting on my work bench ready for the lathe. And the list just keeps getting longer.

snyiper

[SIZE=+3][/SIZE]
Native to my area but I have not heard about it either...here is a description.
[SIZE=+3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+3]Oxydendrum arboreum (L.) DC.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+4]Sourwood[/SIZE]
Ericaceae -- Heath family
Ronald P. Overton
Sourwood (Oxydendrum arboreum) grows in the upland forests of the southeastern United States. Also known as sorrel-tree or lily-of-the-valley-tree, its flowers are an important source of honey in some areas but it is of little value as a timber species. Sourwood sprouts often interfere with the establishment of more desirable species in second-growth and cutover areas. This mid-summer flowering tree is an attractive ornamental.
Habitat

Native Range

Sourwood is found from southwest Pennsylvania to southern Ohio, and southern Indiana, south to southeastern Louisiana and the coastal region of Mississippi, Alabama, and northwest Florida; west to western Kentucky and Tennessee, and to the Delta in Mississippi; and east to the Atlantic coast from southern Virginia to central North Carolina, and to the edge of the Coastal Plain in South Carolina and Georgia. The main range lies between latitude 30° and 40° N. and longitude 75° and 92° W. Sourwood reaches its largest size on the western slopes of the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee.
arboreum.jpg

-The native range of sourwood.

Climate

Annual precipitation within the range of sourwood varies from 1020 mm (40 in) in the North to 2030 mm (80 in) in the central Appalachians. Warm season precipitation ranges from 530 mm (21 in) in the North to 910 mm. (36 in) on the gulf coast and in the Appalachians, and annual snowfall varies from none along the gulf coast to 152 cm (60 in) in the Appalachians. The length of the growing season fluctuates from 150 days in the mountains of southern Pennsylvania to 300 days in northern Florida. Temperature extremes vary from -29° C (-20° F) to 42° C (107° F) within the range of sourwood.
Soils and Topography

In the central Appalachians sourwood is most abundant on subxeric open slopes and ridges occupied by chestnut oak (Quercus prinus), white oak (Q. alba), scarlet oak (Q. coccinea), and Virginia pine (Pinus virginiana). It appears less frequently on more mesic sites such as coves and sheltered slopes (17). Throughout this area sourwood is found up to 1520 m (5,000 ft) but rarely to 1710 m (5,600 ft) (13).
Sourwood grows throughout the Piedmont uplands. It is also found along Piedmont streams on well-drained lowland areas not subject to ordinary flooding (10). Where it enters the Coastal Plain it is found on the gently rolling areas of the upper portion; toward the coast it is restricted to old dunes and well-drained slopes and ridges above streams and swamp borders.
Like most of the Ericaceae, sourwood generally does not grow on soils of limestone origin (8,11) but is most commonly found growing on soils in the orders Ultisols, Inceptisols, and Entisols.
Associated Forest Cover

Sourwood is an understory to midcanopy associate of the following forest cover types (Society of American Foresters) (6):
40 Post Oak-Blackjack Oak
44 Chestnut Oak
51 White Pine-Chestnut Oak
52 White Oak-Black Oak-Northern Red Oak
53 White Oak
75 Shortleaf Pine
76 Shortleaf Pine-Oak
78 Virginia Pine-Oak
79 Virginia Pine
81 Loblolly Pine
82 Loblolly Pine-Hardwood
110 Black Oak