Last brick wall to fix in shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

As I have posted before, the mid-1800's portion of the shop had some issues where the oak nailers for the base board was laid into the original brick. This is the last section to repair.
IMG_5552.jpeg

First I remove everything that is loose…
IMG_5554.jpeg

Then dry fit with all of the original bricks and all of the extras I have found and scrounged from around the shop, old steps, etc.
IMG_5553.jpeg

Next I pull them all back out and stack them top to bottom ready for mixing mortar and laying back in place tomorrow.
IMG_5555.jpeg

Hopefully my post tomorrow indicates it is done. This is the 3rd section so I have a process but never laid a brick before this adventure. Had some fun, learned a lot. Including a greater appreciation for the masons out there and the fact that I will never make a living being one. 😁

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDahl

I have to say it must be pretty cool to have a portion of your work shop that dates back that far. Truly a vintage workshop.

Woodchipper

That is very unique.
Story: had a customer in Mobile, AL, that took over an old warehouse. While remodeling, they tore out the old plywood and found a brick wall that was about nine feet tall. "What to do?" It was decided to keep the brick wall, clean it up and ponder the history of the Mobile waterfront.

MRDucks2

I have to say it must be pretty cool to have a portion of your work shop that dates back that far. Truly a vintage workshop.
it is neat. This is the original part, with a section in the end that was an indoor outhouse. At some point the porch to this section was enclosed to make more room.

Then I have the original "garage" portion that was added on. I call it the Model T bay as it is quite narrow. Finally a larger garage portion that would hold a single, regular sized car.

I have added two walls back in that were removed over the years so we can have a dirty side (the wood shop) a clean side (casting and crafts) and a storage bay.

MRDucks2

That is very unique.
Story: had a customer in Mobile, AL, that took over an old warehouse. While remodeling, they tore out the old plywood and found a brick wall that was about nine feet tall. "What to do?" It was decided to keep the brick wall, clean it up and ponder the history of the Mobile waterfront.
There a portion of the wall in the "Model T bay" that has some old paint and a bit of soot from a fire on the bricks that my wife loves as a background for part of her jewelry and home decor photos.
IMG_5559.jpeg

howsitwork

Nice work and I bet you're glad of the floor kneeler for your knees!!
It's very satisfying being able to say I did that.

MedWoodWorx

As I have posted before, the mid-1800's portion of the shop had some issues where the oak nailers for the base board was laid into the original brick. This is the last section to repair.
View attachment 358314
First I remove everything that is loose…
View attachment 358315
Then dry fit with all of the original bricks and all of the extras I have found and scrounged from around the shop, old steps, etc.
View attachment 358316
Next I pull them all back out and stack them top to bottom ready for mixing mortar and laying back in place tomorrow.
View attachment 358317
Hopefully my post tomorrow indicates it is done. This is the 3rd section so I have a process but never laid a brick before this adventure. Had some fun, learned a lot. Including a greater appreciation for the masons out there and the fact that I will never make a living being one. 😁
when stacking the bricks have a bucket of water next to you, dip every brick in the water for a while to absorb some water. then put mortar and do your thing. the moist bricks will not draw that much water from the cement mix. concrete cures and a long curing time produces a stronger cement. cheers

Dieseldoc

We had same problem with on wife family house in San Franciso built in 1886.Brick foundation. We rebuilt and installed concrete foundation and concrete slap floor with steel trust to support the two flat home that was a carriage house in the 1900's

MRDucks2

when stacking the bricks have a bucket of water next to you, dip every brick in the water for a while to absorb some water. then put mortar and do your thing. the moist bricks will not draw that much water from the cement mix. concrete cures and a long curing time produces a stronger cement. cheers
Thanks! Learned that on the first patch. A video had suggested spratlying them with a bottle. These old bricks were more thirsty that. Couldn't make them even slightly moist with a spray so got a dipping bucket for them. Worked great.

Top Bottom