Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dueyvan

IMG_8963.JPG

The grain and knot in this piece of Russian olive are pretty neat. I don't have stabilization equipment or supplies. Is there a redneck way of "stabilizing" so I could incorporate the knot into a pen without it blowing up?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

yes thin CA will hold it together. Make sure it is thin so it gets in the grains and flood it. May have to keep adding so it builds up.

Mr Vic

I've done on a cedar pen that had about 5 or 6 knots. Spent an hour looking for one that popped out, found it a glued it back in.

PatrickR

Have you done that with success? I was wondering if it would work which is why I asked my question.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Yes it will work. I would not use accelerator and allow it to dry 24hrs so that it is completely cured. If it is loose at all (push on it while the CA is wet, if it's loose some bubbles will come out) wrap a rubber band around it tightly to clamp it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

magpens

@Dueyvan

Soak your blank in "Minwax Wood-Hardener" for a few hours. . Then let it harden. . ( Available at Windsor Plywood in Canada. )

Take care when you subsequently turn the wood.

I have successfully used this treatment on punky spalted woods.

It also helps a lot, soon as possible after the wood-hardener treatment/drying, to carefully drill the blank on the lathe, securely glue in the brass tube

Last edited:

RunnerVince

I use CA all the time to fill in gaps, cracks, knots, or tearout. So many imperfections (and even mistakes) end up looking amazing once they're filled, turned, sanded, and polished. Kind of like children, once they're finished, you can't imagine them any other way, "imperfections" and all.

As PatrickR said, don't use the accelerator. Every time I get in a rush and try, I end up with tiny "pits" in the CA once it's hardened, and these inevitably get filled with sanding dust or other debris and end up creating white spots in the finish. And then when I show my wife, she immediately finds it and says "what happened there"? :)

Top Bottom