Key Rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

This is another project I just ordered kits for. Does anyone out there make these things and how hard are they. Do you use bushings as a guide or do you use a caliper??? How accurate do you have to be??? I suppose these are finished just as a pen is??? Are these good sellers??? I see all kinds of kits but i just ordered the plain ones for starters. Thanks for the info.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I make (and sell) a lot of key rings. If you tell which kit you're talking about, I will be more than happy to give you all the information about that kit. Most are very simple to make and do use bushings. Some use special bushings and some use the same bushings as pen kits. The end where the wood meets the bushing is usually not really a critical dimension so I don't think you'll need calipers. Let me know what kits you're getting and I can send you some profiles that usually sell well.

hilltopper46

John;

I'd be interested in your best-selling profiles too, if you don't mind. I have turned the 7mm plain key fob, the 10 mm secret compartment and the 9/16-inch pillbox/secret compartment.

Here's a pillbox in tulipwood I did the other night.

Attachments

• KC007.JPG
    KC007.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

jttheclockman

Tony your photo shows one of the questions I am asking. The bottom of the ring shows an exact match to the brass. How did you achieve that??? Is there a bushing the size of the brass or do you do this with calipers???

MobilMan

John, the key rings I used to make {woodcraft} used the slimline bushings & made it the same way you would for one end of the kit. The actual key ring can be a little larger than the end caps & still look ok.

hilltopper46

The pill box has a set of bushings. Look on the Penn State site and they will list the bushings with the key ring kits. Another good source is http://woodnwhimsies.com/ - even if you don't order you can see the bushings they list.

The 7mm key rings use the standard slimline bushing. The 10mm (not 100 mm as I wrote above) use the same bushings as the PSI traditional pen and the top and yo-yo kits.

nava1uni

I make lots of key rings, secret compartments and the pill boxes. It is a good way to use the end of blanks and other things. Corian makes nice key rings, etc.

Top Bottom