Jet lathe turning kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

awd55

I started turning a few years ago after I inherited my lathes and tools from my dad. I recently came across a few turning kits seemingly manufactured (or at least branded) by Jet. I would love to make these but don't have the bushings. Does anyone have any experience with these kits or know what kind of bushings I would need? I tried searching through the reference guides but couldn't find anything about Jet kits.

Attachments

• D1fiidN.jpg
    D1fiidN.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 236
  • JV9XJLh.jpg
    JV9XJLh.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm guessing here, but the pen looks like a standard slimline-style pen (Cross refill, recognizable twist transmission, etc). Plus, the instructions (photo 2) say to use a 7mm drill. So, use 7mm straight bushings (the kind most use as "spacers").

awd55

I'm guessing here, but the pen looks like a standard slimline-style pen (Cross refill, recognizable twist transmission, etc). Plus, the instructions (photo 2) say to use a 7mm drill. So, use 7mm straight bushings (the kind most use as "spacers").
You are correct, they use standard 7mm tubes and accessories but these particular kits are "Mount Blanc Style" so the bushings are different. There were a few other kits i founf that were purely slimline style that use the "spacer" bushings, but these two don't.

Here are some closer pictures that show the diagram where the bushings are more visible.

Attachments

• 20200511_132433.jpg
    20200511_132433.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200511_132438.jpg
    20200511_132438.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 134

magpens

You will have to measure the metal component diameters at the points closest to where they meet the pen blank ends.

You could do without bushings by using calipers to monitor the blank diameter as you turn it down.

To find compatible bushings, I would suggest searching for kits with names like "Round Top Streamline".

I also note that the refill carries the Dayacom name ... you could search the website ... www.dayacom.com ...
... but that is not a particularly easy chore.

A search that I just did for "24 K Gold Mount Blanc Style Pen Kit" brought up this result, which looks very similar to your kit : ...

It would seem that ... www.langevinforest.com ... is a Canadian company in Montreal.

Another search reveals that ... www.pennstateind.com ... used to have a pen kit called a "Designer" which used bushings PKMONTBU that are still listed on their website if you search for the latter name. . Those bushings might suit if you can get them. . A phone call to PSI would help.

Another company to try is ... www.woodturningz.com ... and look for PKMONTSG or EUROBU .... VERY similar to what you show but I don't know if they still carry those products.

Last edited:

qquake

They look like old 7mm European style kits to me.

awd55

The European one looks similar. I think I am going to measure the tip, middle and cap with my calipers. Penn State has detailed sizes of each of their bushings so I might find one that fits.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You would be much better advised to measure the parts and MAKE bushings that fit your kit.

The "Euro" design was not patented, there were a half dozen "knock offs"--all the early ones used 7 mm tubes, but some required a tenon, some just took off material down to the tube. And the centerbands were not all the exact same measurement, nor were all the cap top pieces.

You have the components, make your bushings to fit them.

Edit in: Yours will require you to turn a tenon, the centerband goes over that tenon and is glued in place--a very early design.

Ed

Top Bottom