Go to pan kit - done with Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gabericks

Hey folks,

I've determined that I'm no longer making Slimlines. I am using more expensive blanks and can't afford a Slimlines fail and lose a blank + using a $20 blank on a Slimline is like putting a bowtie on a pig.
I'm looking for a reliable favorite kit in the $10 range. My go-to higher end pen is the Tycoon at $17. I should probably fine a nicer higher end pen.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This is probably going to sound "snarky", I apologize if that is the way it comes across, I merely want to state a fact worth considering:

ExoticBlanks offers over 1500 pen style-plating combinations.
I have favorites, so do thousands of customers, but we would not handle all those choices if only a few sold.
My point: Your taste should dictate the type of pens you like--I can tell you if they are durable, but not if you and others will "like" them.

Hope that came across as helpful,
Ed

Hey folks,

I've determined that I'm no longer making Slimlines. I am using more expensive blanks and can't afford a Slimlines fail and lose a blank + using a $20 blank on a Slimline is like putting a bowtie on a pig.
I'm looking for a reliable favorite kit in the $10 range. My go-to higher end pen is the Tycoon at $17. I should probably fine a nicer higher end pen.
Thanks

I love the pig analogy, that's a great line I don't think I've ever heard. šŸ˜‚ 20 bucks for a blank is pretty expensive and probably deserves a bit more up scaled kit. However, one of my favorite kits is the PSI Designer Series and they've always been great to make and usually come out very nice. There's also the Euro kit, which is the same except for the tenon which you have to turn, but not hard and the look is for all intents and purpose is the same. Another kit you might consider is the Classic from PSI. Both are nice looking pens and everyone I've made has gone over well either as a gift or a sale. Good luck on your adventure. I know that EB carries both.

magpens

Just trying to get a clear picture first of all.

So .... you have decided to not make slimlines any more ... is that the long and the short of it ?

And you have had good success with the Tycoon ? ... and it costs $17 ? ... I see the rollerball on PSI website at $19.95, the fountain at $20.95.

But the Tycoon is really too expensive for your liking ?

You mentioned a blank price of $20 ... that's a pretty expensive blank ... care to be more specific about what type of blank it is ?

I don't really know what your pen-making objectives are. . Would help to know. . But I can tell you some thoughts I have had.

The Cigar pen kit is really good value, but it is a ballpoint (not sure if there are other variants). . Give some thought to it. . Not just the easiest pen to make, because it has 4 bushings all of different sizes, so you are making a profile which is not straight-sided. . One kit that I have always liked is the Berea Sierra Button Click ... again a ballpoint. . I particularly like it in the Elegant or Elegant Beauty styling. . You can make those straight-sided, but, in my opinion, a slightly bulged profile is preferable.

If you have like making Tycoons, then you have probably made pens from the Jr Gent family. . My favorite there is the Jr. Antony ... somewhat expensive, but very classy ... you won't be putting a bow-tie on a pig !!

For more expensive pen kits, consider the Jr. Statesman, Jr. Emperor, ... the Imperial also ... and there are other really gorgeous pen kits.
ExoticBlanks carries some of those.

I'll let that do for now. . But if/when you answer some of the questions I have posed, then I can add some more.
Please feel free to ask specific questions. . You can PM me if you wish. . Would be pleased to try to help, if I can. . I've tried a lot of kits.

mick

This is just my opinion and I can't speak for anyone else that do shows but I'm willing to bet you some will agree with me. Slimlines (don't call them that, give them a unique name and use that to attract a possible customer) in good plantings, (gold titanium, black titanium, rhodium and even chrome) paired with nice woods (think classy but not expensive) and attractive acrylics, will sell and sell well. I've done shows for 15 yrs and they are at times the bread and butter of my inventory. I don't know if you sell pens or not but if you do you're losing sells by not making them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

EricRN

Hey folks,

Thanks
I'm a huge fan of the Beaufort Ink pen kits from Turners' Warehouse. The sirocco is a nice Parker-style ballpoint, similar in style to a sierra or gatsby, but thinner and more elegant in my opinion. I think they are anywhere from $8-12 dollars or so, depending on what plating you get. For a really high-end pen, I'm partial to the Beaufort Ink Mistrals--a very nice option for a rollerball or fountain pen, but not cheap coming in at $31-37 depending on RB vs. FP and finish. I am also a huge fan of the Black TI Jr. Gent ii's. The Black Ti plating has a really cool look, and I love how the accent band and cabachone are chrome, not black. I think Ed sells those at exotic blanks. You can also pick those up at CSUSA. Those all have been my go-tos lately.

I will say, though--there is a time and a place for a slimline, and I would not in any way consider a well-turned slimeline with an expensive blank to be a waste.

Humongous

If you're using $20 blanks then I think you would want the blank to be the focal point not the hardware.
I would go with something like the Atrax (one of my personal favorites). It is classy but understated and around $10.

MPVic

Hey folks,

Thanks
Hi Gabe:
Have been at the same point as you ready, to five up on Slimlines. But a few weeks back I saw some magnificent slimlines by Fred Bruche (Mar. 8, 2020) that really challenged me to give it another go. However, I do hope you find the alternative that you enjoy turning.
1587569055137.png
1587569055137.png

DrD

Personally, never cared for Slimlines in any flavor. However, the Streamline kits, either flat top or round top make pens that seem to be good movers at craft fairs, etc. Next to the Churchill - other end of the extreme - the Streamlines are my go to pen when making pens to sell.

RobS

1587571032017.png
1587571082911.png

Here is the Artisan European Pen Kits from craft supplies USA (photos taken from their website)
This is the higher cost line, there are cheaper options.
Strong seller, does not feel cheap. See these in hawaii with koa wood for $130 in the artisanal shops.

1587571598617.png

Here is a photo of the Executive, 3/8 tube, parker refill (i made this)
Sells for $35 MIN, on up depending on the blank used.

mick

As I said in an earlier post slimlines are steady sellers for me. Seeing Marks examples, which are gorgeous by the way, reminded me, I always try to have several very slim ones. Mostly women who still carry a checkbook want them to fit in the loops made for holding them. Otherwise I'm got a nice unique shape I use for most of mine. A lot of time I'll put a little "finger nub"for lack of a better word slightly above the nib. Even without modified versions they sell good. Most times my wife calls it "nickel and diming our way to a very good show." Many return customers started with buying a slimline and returning time and again to buy higher end pens and buying them as gifts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gabericks

This is probably going to sound "snarky", I apologize if that is the way it comes across, I merely want to state a fact worth considering:

ExoticBlanks offers over 1500 pen style-plating combinations.
I have favorites, so do thousands of customers, but we would not handle all those choices if only a few sold.
My point: Your taste should dictate the type of pens you like--I can tell you if they are durable, but not if you and others will "like" them.

Hope that came across as helpful,
Ed
Hey Ed, no snark detected whatsoever, and thank you for your response. So, what's your favorite $10 kit?

Gabericks

Just trying to get a clear picture first of all.

So .... you have decided to not make slimlines any more ... is that the long and the short of it ?

And you have had good success with the Tycoon ? ... and it costs $17 ? ... I see the rollerball on PSI website at $19.95, the fountain at $20.95.

But the Tycoon is really too expensive for your liking ?

You mentioned a blank price of $20 ... that's a pretty expensive blank ... care to be more specific about what type of blank it is ?

I don't really know what your pen-making objectives are. . Would help to know. . But I can tell you some thoughts I have had.

The Cigar pen kit is really good value, but it is a ballpoint (not sure if there are other variants). . Give some thought to it. . Not just the easiest pen to make, because it has 4 bushings all of different sizes, so you are making a profile which is not straight-sided. . One kit that I have always liked is the Berea Sierra Button Click ... again a ballpoint. . I particularly like it in the Elegant or Elegant Beauty styling. . You can make those straight-sided, but, in my opinion, a slightly bulged profile is preferable.

If you have like making Tycoons, then you have probably made pens from the Jr Gent family. . My favorite there is the Jr. Antony ... somewhat expensive, but very classy ... you won't be putting a bow-tie on a pig !!

For more expensive pen kits, consider the Jr. Statesman, Jr. Emperor, ... the Imperial also ... and there are other really gorgeous pen kits.
ExoticBlanks carries some of those.

I'll let that do for now. . But if/when you answer some of the questions I have posed, then I can add some more.
Please feel free to ask specific questions. . You can PM me if you wish. . Would be pleased to try to help, if I can. . I've tried a lot of kits.
Hello and thank you for your response. Sorry for my late response

I started making pens for special people with meaningful materials. I'm really not in it to make a bunch of cheap pens.
The $20 blanks are from A supplier that I found that has over a hundred professional and college Stadium seats that he sells for pen blanks.
I'm really just looking for around a $10 pen kit, preferably a rollerball, that has decent quality does lower price than the Tycoon roller balls I've been making.
I do like a cigar pens but I feel like most of the ones I've put together almost didn't work and they feel a little on the cheaper side. I'll check it out some that you mention for sure. Thank you so much

cseymour

Hello All,
I would echo Mal's assessment of the Cigar pen.
One of my personal favorites is the Satin Chrome and Chrome (Chrome nib).
(https://www.exoticblanks.com/cigar-pen-kit-satin-chrome-and-chrome-chrome-nib.html?category_id=273)
I don't sell my pens, but these make a very rich looking writing instrument.
IMG_0052.JPG

Another one I like is the Le Roi in Gun Metal / Chrome (https://www.exoticblanks.com/le-roi-ballpoint-pen-kit-gunmetal-chrome.html?category_id=809)
IMG_0895.JPG

Both are fairly inexpensive and make nice looking pens.
I tend to use mainly wooden blanks.

Just a thought.

Chris

Top Bottom