Crack happens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

This must have happened when I pressed the finial into the tube. The blank is an inlace, so is more brittle than some. It's not all that bad, but you can feel it with your finger. Shame, it was a nice looking blank. I'll redo it with an AA blank.

Attachments

• 072_crack.jpg
    072_crack.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 235
  • 086_crack.jpg
    086_crack.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 265
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Wonder how you press? I have the small arbor press from HF and it works well. I have noticed that it is easy to "press-through" a little misalignment between the part and the blank. Sometimes this resulted in no noticeable issue but I have seen crescent chips like your photo, delamination on printed label blanks and loose fits on other kits.

I now caution guests, because with even a noticeably misaligned cap, final or nib the 1 ton force of the press will still push into the hole, forcing it into line. Unfortunately it may damage other parts in the process.

Wonder how you press? I have the small arbor press from HF and it works well. I have noticed that it is easy to "press-through" a little misalignment between the part and the blank. Sometimes this resulted in no noticeable issue but I have seen crescent chips like your photo, delamination on printed label blanks and loose fits on other kits.

I now caution guests, because with even a noticeably misaligned cap, final or nib the 1 ton force of the press will still push into the hole, forcing it into line. Unfortunately it may damage other parts in the process.

Is this the 1 ton press you have?

CENTRAL MACHINERY
1 Ton Arbor Press

(305)Write a Review
Hand-operated arbor press for smaller production and assembly jobs
$58.99

qquake

I use my drill press as an arbor press. Been doing it that way for 20 years. Very rarely have a problem.

Attachments

• 070b.jpg
    070b.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 145
Top Bottom