Jet 1221vs review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I recently bought the same lathe. I'm pleased with almost everything about it. Except the quality of the paint.

Dan, I bought a 1220vs on sale after the 1221 came out and I've noticed the same problem. I don't know whether to call Jet or not as this it's purely cosmetic. Still you'd think it would be better than this.

Bocere1

good video Chad, I noticed when Dan had posted that he had bought one, mine had been delivered by then but had no chance to set it up. Mine replaced a Rikon 70-100. Gotta say the Rikon is a good lathe for the features it has and it's price. Solid. But there is night and day between this new Jet and the Rikon.

Question though, am I the only one catching my thumb between the handwheel and the indexing pin?

I've done this a few times. As I'm turning the wheel my thumb comes up and jams between it and the pin. Maybe I need to order a smaller thumb.

JohnGreco

Question though, am I the only one catching my thumb between the handwheel and the indexing pin?

I've done this a few times. As I'm turning the wheel my thumb comes up and jams between it and the pin. Maybe I need to order a smaller thumb.

I haven't caught my thumb in there yet. Though I'm sure now that I've said it, I'll get it stuck my next time in there :rolleyes:

JohnGreco

Chad- Good video! I think you meant to say it came with a live center for the tailstock though, not dead center :)

One interesting thing I noticed is when yours is powered off there is nothing on the display...when mine is off it reads "0". Which only further tells me I do need to replace my switch.

Dan Masshardt

Dan, I bought a 1220vs on sale after the 1221 came out and I've noticed the same problem. I don't know whether to call Jet or not as this it's purely cosmetic. Still you'd think it would be better than this.

I've heard that they would send you a touch up paint which I may try to request.

It is what it is. There is no warranty claim to make. Just cosmetic but be careful with your air gun!

cschimmel

Glad to hear so many are having good luck with the lathe. Yes I did mean live center not dead center.
Bocere1 I have not had that problem must be a different size thumb, ha ha.

I'm glad Dan mentioned using air with the paint because I defiantly would be blowing it off with the air hose.

Dan Masshardt

Glad to hear so many are having good luck with the lathe. Yes I did mean live center not dead center.
Bocere1 I have not had that problem must be a different size thumb, ha ha.

I'm glad Dan mentioned using air with the paint because I defiantly would be blowing it off with the air hose.

Chad. I blow the lathe off several times a day and will continue to. But if you hold the nozzle right against the paint, you may have a problem.

mick

I've heard that they would send you a touch up paint which I may try to request.

It is what it is. There is no warranty claim to make. Just cosmetic but be careful with your air gun!

It's not really chipping, well in a couple of places, but it's the quality of the paint. Seems very thin in places. When wiped down with a damp cloth using a mild soapy cleaner the higher spots (from the sand casting) seem to have the paint. Kinda "worn" off . A bottle of touch up paint wouldn't cover this. My1014vs although beat up now, it's 8 yrs old, had a much better paint job when new. I guess it goes to show how quality control has slipped down hill over the years.

Old Codger

I've had my 1221VS for just over a month now and have to admit I LOVE it!!! My previous lathe was a Rikon 1216VS and although I have absolutely no complaints about it, I wanted a little larger lathe w/sturdier bedways plus slower RPM plus the reverse and indexing features. I have to admit, I have had to request a new 'variable speed switch' from Jet as the original soon became 'wobbly' and since it's a brand new lathe w/less than 10 hrs. on it, I wanted to prevent a down lathe or other problems later on... Jet's tech. support promises me to send a new one shortly but I'm a little concerned that the current 'pressure fit' variable speed switch may later cause more problems... A lathe of this quality and price should have ALL switches mounted w/a nut/washer feature rather than a pressure fit feature to hold the switch tight and rigid rather than just a 'pressure fit' feature.... I hesitate to glue the new switch in with CA or another glue to hold it tight as it might hinder future replacements... Just a note to advise other new 1221VS owners/purchasers of this problem...for Jet to allow this for a $900 lathe is...well, strange to say the least! Otherwise, it's a wonderful lathe and I've had absolutely no problems with the lathe and appreciate Jet's support of their new lathe!

I recently bought the same lathe. I'm pleased with almost everything about it. Except the quality of the paint.

My paint is starting to come off a bit on the tailstock but that might be from the all CA accelerant that I use. (I do a LOT of CA work)

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 3 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom