I REALLY miss Fry's Electronics!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I used to have a Fry's Electronics three miles from my house. Since I'm a computer consultant, it was sort of my second home. They've been gone since the end of February, and there really isn't any other retail store that can replace them. Now I have to buy everything online and wait for it to be delivered. It used to be that if I was working on someone's system and needed a new thing a ma bob, I could just pop over to Fry's and buy it and be back in half an hour. Now it is usually about a week to get the necessary item. The pandemic put them out of business.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CFPT

We had one here in Oregon! I didn't know they closed down. That's sad. We still have a good electronics components supplier here in Portland but they're the last one I know about.

randyrls

Sharon; Everyone is now using just-in-time and on-line. When it works it is OK, but as the recent events demonstrate when it fails, it REALLY FAILS EXPLOSIVELY!

penicillin

I live in Southern California, where we had several Fry's stores. I have visited many other Fry's over time when I needed parts or components while on business travel. I have turned too many hotel rooms into temporary labs, and counted on Fry's to stock obscure replacement parts or other components that could not be found within hundreds of miles from any other source.

Honestly, I doubt the failure was caused by the pandemic. While the pandemic may have pushed them into closing a little sooner, it was obvious to me several years ago that they were in severe decline and would fail soon. The stores looked bare and devoid of both products and customers. The staffing levels were bare bones and the staff lacked any product knowledge or any interest to help customers.

When Fry's closed, I learned from our local media that their inventory had shifted to a consignment model (... and I believe it happened a year or so before the pandemic). That must have been a last-chance, desperate act.. Manufacturers supplied the goods at zero cost, and Fry's paid them only when an item actually sold. Many manufacturers balked at that and refused those non-standard, last-resort methods. When I learned that (after the fact), it confirmed that I had been right about their situation.

I am not an economist, but from my own personal observations of living through the era, I would say that Frys rode the huge wave of popularity and growth of computers and everything related to them that started in the early 1980s and lasted about 25 years. Eventually the market saturated, computers became low-cost, mass-produced commodities (household appliances, not so special). Many computer hobbyists shifted from computers to pen turning. :) Joking aside, many people are evolving from computers to cell phones. Cell phones are merely smaller computers, of course, but their portability, extended communications and special features makes them a game changer. The special features that make them a game changer include their user interfaces (the way people interact with them), precision location features, etc.

(Personal note: ... and this is not the place to discuss who the true beneficiaries of those features are.)

For an example of an industry that experienced a similar boom cycle, I remember the massive high fidelity stereo retailers that occupied a similar space in the market. That started about 15 years earlier than Fry's, and declined in a nearly identical way. Anyone remember Pacific Stereo? Cal Stereo? etc. ??

Last edited:

MRDucks2

The company I worked for recently piloted some new technology (software) for our field technicians. The pilot included a new tablet/"hand held device" for use. The folks were then asked if they would prefer to use to the application on the tablet, continue using laptops or use it on a larger format cell phone (we presently deploy iPhone 7).

Our digital group surprised that 70% of the field techs indicated they would prefer a larger format phone over a tablet or the laptop.

just interesting info.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Our digital group surprised that 70% of the field techs indicated they would prefer a larger format phone over a tablet or the laptop.
This is one area that leaves me mystified. Maybe it is what I do and others do not do. I regularly get Word, Excel and PDF documents in email and they are a pain to read on the phone format. I finally cut my email off of my phone; refuse notifications, and cancel non-essential Text groups. Catalogs and shopping (when comparing products) are a pain to read on the phone too. I prefer a larger screen real estate when I read and correspond.

Too many people are acquiescing to the small world because it is cool, while it is driving needed companies out of business.

I re-subscribed to the local mid-south newspaper last week after 8 years of not having it. Wow, have I missed a lot of local news. Computer screens generally, and absolutely not phones - they cannot compare to the readily available news in the re-cycled paper format. I personally hate the narrow minded vertical news one liners that are so popular but distort the real news. It is driving industries in the wrong direction and some (the wrong ones) out of business.

We had a Fry's in Humble, just outside Houston when I still lived there... did not know they were out of business, though I think I did hear somewhere they were closing some stores... the Fry's in Humble was always busy when I did go there....

To Hank's and Penecillan's post, I carry a cell phone, with some apps on it, but to me it a communications device for making phone calls, running my square point of sale app and checking my ETSY account occasionally... otherwise I don't use it for anything else. I'm not all that computer savvy, even though I've worked on computers since the mid '70s when TWA went on line an Alitalia cargo program. I could maneuver in that program okay, but after I left TWA was away from computers until my son was about 12 -- and he became enamored with them... he went trough 2 commodore 64's, a commodore 128 that he didn't like and went to an Amiga until the Army dropped it on his deployment to Korea... there he switched to the Ibm/Microsoft based units and hasn't looked back since.... I play with them now since then, but don't have a clue how to program one or do maintenance... that's what's he's for.... call my son.

I know i'm a little behind the times and will have to come into the modern world soon.... my stepson is a truck driver and all but lives on is phone when he's not driving... it's his lifeline to the world.

sbwertz

I didn't get a smartphone until a couple of years ago when I was driving across tornado alley in the middle of storm season and REALLY, REALLY wanted up to date weather reports LOL. Now I have a smart phone, FOUR tablets...two Ipads and two Samsungs, three laptops, a desktop, two color laser printers....you get the idea! One little laptop is only used to run the little laser I burn pens with, though.

Top Bottom