Guarding the nest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Have pair of Sharp Shinned Hawk nesting in back yard. Really cool looking 0DF709B9-7A3C-4C90-9749-9DA4DEABB982.jpeg73C9BA46-9B57-40A1-BEFD-C731E81BE20B.jpeg
Hawk

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crashmph

Keep small dogs and cats in side or under a very close eye. A friend had her chihuahua snatched up by a raptor in her neighborhood.

penicillin

We had a Cooper's hawk nest in our big tree last year. We thought the fledglings were cute as they learned to fly, until they started leaving the dinner leftovers on our yard furniture. The worst was the morning we went out and the area underneath our tree looked like a college dorm room pillow fight. The photo doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea. I won't show the "big picture."

Hawk Pillow Fight Closeup.JPG

penicillin

Life in the bird department is better this year. Just over a week ago, a hummingbird built a nest in a potted ficus tree next to our bedroom. One egg appeared Monday (a week ago) and the other egg appeared last Wednesday. The first two photos were taken when the hummingbird took a meal break. Sorry for the blurred third photo of the bird - it was shot through the screen. If all goes well, the eggs are due to hatch later this week or early next week.

Ficus Tree Next to Bedrooms.JPG

Eggs in Nest.JPG

Hummingbird Brooding Egg on Nest.JPG

penicillin

Keep small dogs and cats in side or under a very close eye. A friend had her chihuahua snatched up by a raptor in her neighborhood.
We used to live in a house with a lot of undeveloped hills around us. They were regional parklands, brush, and forest. Large groups of coyotes would howl at night all around us. We called them "coyote parties." Before bedtime, my spouse would stand at the sliding glass door and let our small Maltese dog out into the yard to do its business. She had one of those spring-loaded leashes. The dog would go out in the yard at the end of a long string.

She called it, "Fishing for coyotes." :-(

goldendj

Shortly after we moved into our current house, my (then-pregnant) wife was enjoying the sight of a fluffy little bunny hopping around the front yard one morning ... until Mr. Hawk dropped in for breakfast ...

Dieseldoc

Shortly after we moved into our current house, my (then-pregnant) wife was enjoying the sight of a fluffy little bunny hopping around the front yard one morning ... until Mr. Hawk dropped in for breakfast .

Well Hawks need to eat also!!
We like to have them around like owls which help keep the rat and mice under control.

Was standing in the doorway of my shop... a dove flew by and a hawk dropped out of the sky, grabbed the dove and took it to the ground....
he evidently didn't get a good grip, the dove got away.... you've never seen a dove fly so fast with wings just a whistling.

Stephanie

Life in the bird department is better this year. Just over a week ago, a hummingbird built a nest in a potted ficus tree next to our bedroom. One egg appeared Monday (a week ago) and the other egg appeared last Wednesday. The first two photos were taken when the hummingbird took a meal break. Sorry for the blurred third photo of the bird - it was shot through the screen. If all goes well, the eggs are due to hatch later this week or early next week.

View attachment 305112

View attachment 305115

View attachment 305116
The nest is amazing. How fun is that!

pshrynk

Was standing in the doorway of my shop... a dove flew by and a hawk dropped out of the sky, grabbed the dove and took it to the ground....
he evidently didn't get a good grip, the dove got away.... you've never seen a dove fly so fast with wings just a whistling.
And you could hear the bird yelling, "Oh, F*! Oh, F*! Oh, F*! Oh, F*! Oh, F*! Oh, F*! Oh, F*! Oh, F*! Oh, F*! I would imagine

penicillin

The hummingbird eggs hatched yesterday. The hatchlings are less than one day old. We have seen the mama feeding them, but most of the time she sits on the nest, keeping the babies warm. They are about the size of a coffee bean. I took the photo a few minutes ago, when the mama was away, taking a breakfast break.

Hummingbird Hatchlings.JPG

Top Bottom