I have a rattle snake need

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Hey, guys! It's been a while since I've been on here. And longer since I've done much turning. But I'm getting my shop back together finally and already had a request. Hence the need. My client wants an 8mm Euro (Berea Roundtop) pen and pencil set in rallte snake. A year or so ago Curtis convinced me of the strength of Alumilite and I've experienced PR cast blanks cracking when dropped so I would like to go with Alumilite if possible. Do any of our casters here do snake skin in Alumilite? Any help, or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

BTW, from the looks of things, I've fallen way behind the power curve! LOL!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Billy!!!!! Great to see you again! Sorry, I'm no help with the blanks but wanted to say hey.

seamus7227

I can't speak on this specifically, but I bet Curtis(Mesquite man) could tell you if it can be done. I have the alumilite but haven't gotten around to trying it yet

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Welcome back Billy. Long time, no hear from you.
I'm probably wrong, but I seem to recall someone (Don Ward maybe?????) said that snake skins do not do well when cast in Alumilite. Haven tried skins in Alumilite myself because of this.

alamocdc

Welcome back Billy. Long time, no hear from you.
I'm probably wrong, but I seem to recall someone (Don Ward maybe?????) said that snake skins do not do well when cast in Alumilite. Haven tried skins in Alumilite myself because of this.

I did a search yesterday and found some posts from a few years back that had me thinking that was the case, but was hoping otherwise. If it is, I'll be posting, "Oh, Dooooonnnn!" But first I'll wait on a response from our buddy, Curtis... just in case.

its_virgil

Oh Biiillllyyyy! Welcome back!! Alumilite is not a good choice for snake skins and other similar materials glued to the tubes. Alumilite is an excellent product, but polyresin is the way to go for snake skins. It is good to see you back here.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

"Oh, Dooooonnnn!"

Hey Billy! Welcome Back! I am one of the guys that perfected/brought the snake blanks to market waaayyy back in the early 2000's and my Brother and I do the blanks for some of the big retailers. Polyester is the way to go! Don't know why the failures when dropped - unless they are just turned too thin - you must leave as much resin as you can without ruining the lines of the pen. I have a customer that will profess to have dropped one off a two story balcony onto cement and it didn't even crack! That pen is still in use and it is 8 years old! I even catch the snakes (Prairie Rattlesnakes) I use for my penturning best friends (all of you!). Tell you what.... you get me the tubes, and I will make you a set of the blanks - free! Send me a private message if you are interested and I will get busy! ALSO! DON WARD - I've missed you brother! Guess I should be on IAP more often.

seamus7227

Wind River Pens said:
Hey Billy! Welcome Back! I am one of the guys that perfected/brought the snake blanks to market waaayyy back in the early 2000's and my Brother and I do the blanks for some of the big retailers. Polyester is the way to go! Don't know why the failures when dropped - unless they are just turned too thin - you must leave as much resin as you can without ruining the lines of the pen. I have a customer that will profess to have dropped one off a two story balcony onto cement and it didn't even crack! That pen is still in use and it is 8 years old! I even catch the snakes (Prairie Rattlesnakes) I use for my penturning best friends (all of you!). Tell you what.... you get me the tubes, and I will make you a set of the blanks - free! Send me a private message if you are interested and I will get busy! ALSO! DON WARD - I've missed you brother! Guess I should be on IAP more often.

I mean this with great respect, but was the pen dropped at that height or the blank? Cuz the blank would have shattered from that height using silmar 41

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

its_virgil

Billy: Accept the offer...these two guys do great work and those of us who make a few snake blanks owe a lot to their pioneering snake blank casting.

@Dave: it is certainly good to hear from you again and yes, you should come around more often! Say hi to Bob and thanks again, my friend, for snake blanks but most of all for our friendship. BTW, I just this week used the last piece of Bolivian walnut I got from you and Bob....several years ago in Provo.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Tell you what.... you get me the tubes, and I will make you a set of the blanks - free! Send me a private message if you are interested and I will get busy! ALSO! DON WARD - I've missed you brother! Guess I should be on IAP more often.

alamocdc

I appreciate the offer... TRULY! PM sent. Two stories? Really? I turned one for a Cigar upper (30-06 casing lower) and dropped it 3 feet ater turning and assembly. It cracked immediately so I use it at home. :frown:

Thanks again!!!

Top Bottom