Decal Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Can anyone make Sierra blanks that would have a silhouette of a Destroyer on one side and DD/DDR 713 on the other. If my thought developes I would be looking for about 40 or 50 of them. I think polyresin would be the material of choice but others would probably do. I could provide an image but it would probably need to be reduced in size to work. I'm thinking of making pens for my old shipmates to distribute at our next reunion and to send to some of my personal buddies who won't be able to make the reunion. I would be willing to pay any reasonable price for them.

Or, as an alternative could anyone do that on some material with laser etching.....I know little about laser etching so you'd have to educate me a little on what could be done.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reiddog1

Hey Shippy, have you thought about laser engraving. May be a little easier for ya. Just my .02 shipmate. Hope this helps.

Dave

AlanReeves

Laser engraved pen blanks

Have you heard of Kallenshaan Woods? They make outstanding laser cut pen blanks that sound just like what you are looking for. Not sure if they do custom work, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Here is the link

Kallenshaan Woods Personalized Laser Engraving

I think wood would be the best material, either using an inlay like Kallenshaan Woods or laser engraving the finished blank and using a color fill or black epoxy to fill in the engraving.

I'd be happy to answer any of your questions relating to laser engraving. I created a few pens several years ago but have grown away from woodturning recently. I have a Powermatic 3520b that really, really needs to be used again... I think it is getting lonely. Thanks

Alan Reeves

Sylvanite

Laser engraving (most likely with a color-fill or re-cast) would certainly work. Rotary laser engraving is not cheap, however. At qty 40-50, in a single batch, the price should come down considerably, but decals would still be less expensive.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom