Hurray for the Drill Doctor!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tea Clipper

I finally got around to trying out my DD750 that I bought a few months ago during a sale on Amazon. Wow! :D I love this thing! I have a nice set of TiN bits from HF that have stayed sharp for a long time, so there wasn't much of need to sharpen them. But for the few bits that I use the most, it was time. I gave the DD a try and now those bits are sharper than when they were new! Well, I don't know if that's true or not but they sure are scary sharp now! I'm sure glad I bought the DD and would highly recommend it to others! Hurray for the Drill Doctor! I'm sorry I waited so long to try it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Congrats!!!

Mine is still boxed intact. Maybe I should play with it during the break. I think I have a few bits that need a touch up [:D]

jcollazo

If for some reason there's not one in the box, you can watch the videos at the DD site: http://www.genext.drilldoctor.com/content/view/21/38/

Tea Clipper

Yes it comes with a VHS video, which is useless for me since I switched to DVD. [}:)] Thanks for the link Joe, I'll have to see what I'm missing. Yes, part of the reason mine was in the box for so long too was how intimdating the thing looks. However, after following the directions (for a change [:0]) I was off to sharpening my first bit. Once you've done a couple, you quickly get the hang of it. Now I'm a sharpening fool. [:p]

DocStram

Dario and James ........ there is a depository for unopened DDs. Just send them to Macon, GA. I'll be glad to "store" them here until you're ready to use them.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I want to go on record that I endorsed this escellent tool many times over the last couple of years.
What took you so long?[:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I use the widest one and "split" the bit.
It is almost sadistic glee to convert the sorthless brad points bits(all of them are worthless) to split point.
It is amazing how true the holes are with the split bits and no tear out.
I never use a back up block and without the need to cut the blank blank and trim I can use the ends for finials and CB's.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />I want to go on record that I endorsed this escellent tool many times over the last couple of years.
What took you so long?[:D]

prolly since ya can't speil nobudy knowed wut yo wuz talkin bout. [}:)]

Woodlvr

My DD has beem unopened for over a year so I am sure that I have a really old model. Does the DD750 sharpen the bits over 1/2" or do you have to purchase another gadget to sharpen them? Thanks.

Mike

bnoles

Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />My DD has beem unopened for over a year so I am sure that I have a really old model. Does the DD750 sharpen the bits over 1/2" or do you have to purchase another gadget to sharpen them? Thanks.

Mike

I would also be curious to know the answer to your question and in addition, would like to know if Titanium bits can be sharpened as well?

Tea Clipper

The model number of the DD tells you how large a bit it can handle. DD500 = 1/2" , DD750 = 3/4". I think you can buy an add-on gadget to up a 500 into a 750. As Dario said, the DD uses a diamond wheel, so it should be okay (My bits were TiN plated and I had no problem.)

I was reading the book a little more, and I'll convert my next bit that needs sharpening into a split point to try it out. The book says a split point is self-centering, and prevents wandering. The bit will begin cutting immediately and requires up to 70% less force to drill a hole. Sounds good to me.

Dario - I bought mine at the same time as yours. I think it was one of your posts that lead me to the DD. Thanks! You should try it, you'll like it! [:)]

bnoles

Great and informative thread. The DD sounds like something I need to consider in the near future. Guess I better start looking for the best bargin on one.

Thanks to everyone for the imput.

jjenk02

I think mine is going to pay for itself in a few months. I was constantly buying new drill bits because the old ones were getting dull.[:D] I may never have to buy another drill bit UNLESS they come out with a new pen kit with another odball sized bit[:(]

jjenk02

Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br />Yes it comes with a VHS video, which is useless for me since I switched to DVD. [}:)] Thanks for the link Joe, I'll have to see what I'm missing. Yes, part of the reason mine was in the box for so long too was how intimdating the thing looks. However, after following the directions (for a change [:0]) I was off to sharpening my first bit. Once you've done a couple, you quickly get the hang of it. Now I'm a sharpening fool. [:p]

Mine came with a DVD thank goodness[:D] I can ship it to you if you need it..

Tea Clipper

Originally posted by jjenk02
<br />
Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br />Yes it comes with a VHS video, which is useless for me since I switched to DVD. [}:)] Thanks for the link Joe, I'll have to see what I'm missing. Yes, part of the reason mine was in the box for so long too was how intimdating the thing looks. However, after following the directions (for a change [:0]) I was off to sharpening my first bit. Once you've done a couple, you quickly get the hang of it. Now I'm a sharpening fool. [:p]

Mine came with a DVD thank goodness[:D] I can ship it to you if you need it..

Thanks for the offer James, but I'll just watch the video that was posted earlier. The instructions are good too. You know, once you've done a few it really isn't that difficult - it just looks complicated at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom