How to use 4 jaw chuck to make this pepper mill?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chartle

chartle

Ok I just got a new 4 jaw chuck with extra jaws from PSI.

I'm thinking of making this style pepper mill and thinking I could use my new chuck instead of the rubber jam chuck.

https://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKGRIND10_INS.pdf

Trying to figure out if I'm missing any tricks to using this chuck to make this mill. I would still drill out the blank with the forstner bit but just not sure if I could grab it correctly and turn some of those parts so thin using the jaws.

Maybe I could make a really big pin chuck and use that.

Attachments

• pkgrind10.jpg
    pkgrind10.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobostro61

I think the only question is that if the opening where the jam chuck goes (from the picutures) is big enough to fit your chuck jaws in there in expansion mode. If the smallest diameter of your jaws won't fit, you can make your own jam chuck out of wood and bypass paying for a rubber one.

chartle

I think I need to look at more turning videos that use a 4 jaw chuck to see how to adapt it to this kit. I kind of need a 4 jaw chuck best practices tutorial.

Its the bottom that I'm mostly thinking is not going to work.

Oh and I also have a 60 degree dead and live center and a 1/2" drill chuck if it matters.

Mortalis

Well, if 'I' were to try to make this peppermill I would create the wood part as a single piece the slice it where the clear section would go. I would then turn the earea where the clear section is to go with a slight rabbet around the circumference so that the clear section was even with the outer surface of the adjoining wood.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for but that is what I interpret your question as.

I come from a metal machining background so My idea of a "4 jaw chuck" I am assuming is different from yours. I envision the need to center the work by using a piece of chalk or pencil while the piece is turning to find the off center side and adjusting the jaws according ly to center the piece.

Curly

I come from a metal machining background so My idea of a "4 jaw chuck" I am assuming is different from yours. I envision the need to center the work by using a piece of chalk or pencil while the piece is turning to find the off center side and adjusting the jaws accordingly to center the piece.

Virtually all 4 jaw wood chucks are scroll chucks, therefore self centering, at least to woodworking tolerances. ;)

JimB

I've never made that pepper mill but you should be able to do it with your chuck in expansion mode. Just don't put excessive pressure when expanding the chuck and make light cuts.

Their rubber jam chuck has its advantages in that the rubber will grab better and on more surface spreading out the pressure needed but in my opinion you will be fine with what you have. The walls will be 1/4 inch. I have used my chuck in expansion mode making mini bowls with thinner recess walls to grab.

chartle

Here is my idea

I hope this makes sense, I'm using son's computer and he has Corel Draw and I'm used to Adobe Illustrator.

I do like the idea of making it in one piece and parting the two pieces apart.

Attachments

• steup.jpg
    steup.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 230

chartle

Ok I measured my one set of jaws and they are just a tad under 2" in fact I'm assuming that are designed to mate with a 2" hole.

Attachments

• chuck.jpg
    chuck.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 208
Top Bottom