Looking for suggestions on escape from wedding planning project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

So I have been escaping from being snowbound with my crazed wedding planning wife by working on a cherry burl project. I will put another coat of wipe on poly on it today and part it off and clean up the bottom tomorrow. I am very happy with the outside profile and am trying to decide on the best wood for a top and finial. I thinking a darker wood for the top with some sort of contrasting finial. I would leave as is if my hollowing skills were better it's a little too rough inside to leave open. I need to find a mentor to improve my hollowing technique. I do pretty good in the top 2-3 inches but lack control as I get deeper. Suggestions of woods for top and finial would be greatly welcomed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Anyone else have a suggestion? Also thought about bloodwood but not fond of that idea.

image.jpg

Charlie_W

Looking very nice!
How large of an opening do you have?
Some of our turners will turn a collar which can be threaded, attached to the vessel and then turn and thread the lid.

Can you post a pic of your hollowing tool/s?

Agree with the Ebony or Blackwood. Do you have any of this cherry Burl left that could make a finial?

Last edited:

Cwalker935

Looking very nice!
Some of our turners will turn a collar which can be threaded, attached to the vessel and then turn and thread the lid.

Agree with the Ebony or Blackwood. Do you have any of this cherry Burl left that could make a finial?

My opening is 4", I do not have any of this particular cherry left, I tried to use all of it that I could in this piece. I might have some other figured cherry, not sure tho.

This is my hollowing tool, it's designed for the inside lip not the deeper area:
Buy Sorby Hollow Master, Mid-Sized at Woodcraft.com

The EWT Hollower # 1 looks like something that would help me:
Buy Mid-Size easy Hollower No. 1 at Woodcraft.com

A bit pricey.

Ebony seems the consensus recommendation for the top.

Charlie_W

Looking very nice!

My opening is 4", I do not have any of this particular cherry left, I tried to use all of it that I could in this piece. I might have some other figured cherry, not sure tho.

This is my hollowing tool, it's designed for the inside lip not the deeper area:
Buy Sorby Hollow Master, Mid-Sized at Woodcraft.com

The EWT Hollower # 1 looks like something that would help me:
Buy Mid-Size easy Hollower No. 1 at Woodcraft.com

A bit pricey.

Ebony seems the consensus recommendation for the top.

I bought the EWT set of three and they seem to work well.
Your cutter is small and makes it hard to get a smooth finish inside a vessel. Some hollowers will have a wider cutter which will cover more area and give a smoother finish. These can be used for final clean up.
Still, you used what you had! Way to go!

Top Bottom