how to stabilize cross section of tree limb??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Fixit

I found some very interesting pieces in the wood pile in the shop.

What I am thinking of doing is making a desk set, ie business card holder, and pen/pencil base.

I have a cross section of limb/trunk about 8-9" oval with bark on and a center void. What I would like to do, if possible, is stabilize with bark on, and cast colored/pearly alumalite to fill the void. Then use the same color to make a pen and pencil set of worthless wood.

Main thing at this point is can I and if so how do I get the cross section of wood with bark on stabilized and ready to finish?

Ideas?

Mr fixit

LEAP

Just curious, How thick is the piece? I regullarly see pieces like you described in the gift shops or craft shows with a urethane or varnish finish and some cutesy saying painted on. The pieces I've looked at were generally less than an inch thick. I'm just guessing but don't imagine there was any stabilization involved.

Mr Fixit

piece is about 3/4-1" thick.

I guess the plan is to pressure cast alumilite in the voids, with a hard backing on the bottom of the piece, then run thru a planer to clean the top and bottom. Then finish somehow.

Mr Fixit

LEAP

As long as it is dry you should have no problems, alumilite does not like a lot of moisture and will foam up if there is too much moisture present.

Top Bottom