Help needed with shift knob!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from treeturner1962

Hi Everyone,

I have been asked to turn a couple of custom shift knobs for some classsic cars. The knob itself is standard and not difficult but I do have some questions about the threading it correctly on the shaft.

HOW do I measure the shift knob shaft a thread type so I can drill the appropriate hole in the knob and put the correct size threaded insert for a tight fit?

Any Help wopuld be appreciated as I do not have much experience with this type of measuring.

Thank you,
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Well, I've got a few tap/die sets that came with these little gauges to measure the thread pitch. For the diameter, you should be able to tell by measuring the diameter of the threads on the shifter itself. Do you have access to the shifter or just the knob?

jd99

I've made shift knobs before and the best thing to use is a threaded insert that has a flange on the bottom. I made my own inserts from stainless, and expoxied it into my blank. You want the flange big enough so that a Jam nut can be tightened up against it if a jam nut is required.

Get youself some thread pitch gages, and a pair of calipers.

Good luck

NC Wood Art

Most are metric depending on year of the car, you can always go to salvage yard with an assortment of metric nuts of know sizes! them keep a log, I was going to make aluminum ones on my metal lathe a while back but those dang chinese beat me to the punch & started selling them for $10 hard to beat that price. I know most fords are 12mm x 1.75 in mustangs.

Bill

Top Bottom