Hello from Southern California

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InetKen

I didn't realize pen turning existed until I ran across an article about an Etsy seller. I think I'm hooked :biggrin:

I've been doing a lot of research on tools, materials, etc., this board has been a great resource. Even purchased a book on pen turning from Amazon. I plan to fund my initial equipment purchases through ebay sales, so I've been gathering a lot of "stuff" and putting it on ebay already.

By trade I'm a Network Analyst, which is a fancy way of saying I'm a paid computer geek, at a University. But, I've also worked in a family sheet metal shop and cut concrete for a living.

As soon as I get close to funding, I've considered blogging about my adventures (hopefully good adventures) in pen turning.

I have to say I've seen some amazing artists and pens here. I hope I can gain a fraction of the talent that is here.

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Welcome aboard, Ken!
After you get going, you'll find out what "hooked" is really about!:biggrin:
Hope you get up and going soon..it is a really great hobby for a lot of us.

John

ThomJ

Greetings from the Green Mtn State......................."is there A 12 STEP PROGRAM FOR PEN TURNERS"?

ossaguy

Hi Ken,

Welcome from a fellow penturner from SoCal.I just started about a year ago,and it sure is a fun hobby.

When you put your pens on your blog,be sure to post here so we can see.

Have fun,Ken!

Steve

MrPukaShell

Welcome Ken,

Where in So Cal are you? I am up in the Ventura County area. Let me know when you get ready to start and we can meet up for some tips & tricks if you want.

Have a great day,

InetKen

Where in So Cal are you? I am up in the Ventura County area. Let me know when you get ready to start and we can meet up for some tips & tricks if you want.

You are a ways from me. I'm in Downey, in L.A. County. I found out there is a Rockler store near me and they are having a pen turning demo next month.

Ken

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Ken and welcome to IAP! I'm in Riverside . . . and we do have a Local Chapter meeting in "So Cal." You can find info on next meeting and stuff following the "Local Chapter" button on top of the IAP home page.

If you want to spin a few times around a lathe, I'm sure one in our group here can manage a meet with you.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

MrPukaShell

You are a ways from me. I'm in Downey, in L.A. County. I found out there is a Rockler store near me and they are having a pen turning demo next month.

Ken

You are just down the road. There is a Rockler in Torrance & Pasadena. Woodcraft is in Stanton & Ventura. Go to the Pan making demo @ Rockler and you will see how easy they are to make. Let us know if you need anything, don't understand or just have some questions.

Top Bottom