Hello from Canada

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ardy

Hello - I have been turning pens, stoppers, key chains and a few other small items for a little over a year. I've sold most at local craft fairs or a couple gift shops which pleases me :). I am always looking for sources for new blanks. I prefer (because my buyers seem to) laminated colorful blanks and have bought from Penn State, Woodturningz, River Ridge and here in Canada William Woodwrite. Any suggestions on other quality reasonable blanks would be appreciated. I am also looking for something to finish the blanks with. Currently I use Shellawax. It does a nice job, but I have noticed that some people are able to completely remove the shine/wax making it dull and almost sticky by simply using the pen for a short while (like my husband). Must be something to do with the oils in his skin. Anyway, is there anything more durable that is easy to apply? I tried varnish/varathane, but wasn't pleased with the end result as the surface is not as smooth.

One last question, any tips on pricing the finished product?

Thanks for you help.

A

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Hi Ardy and welcome from TO.

If you are looking for a more durable finish for your pens that will not rub off, CA is one of many. Suggestions to try. Others will chime in with more suggestions.

Don't fret, stick around and read articles in the IAP library and don't be afraid to ask questions. You will pick up a lot of knowledge here in little time. Most of all enjoy your stay.:)

Katya

Hi Ardy!
Welcome to the group. One of the many benefits of being a member here is that you can check out vendors who also belong. Click on the blue "vendors" button at the top of the page, and you'll see a lot of folks who cater to us here. Quick shout-out- I love Exotic Blanks and Indy-pen-dance. And don't forget to look up Marla, who makes the amazing feather blanks. She and Curly are also members here.

CA is a great, durable finish, but it can be finicky to apply. It takes some practice, but it's worth the effort. And do you belong to a turning guild? Folks there are a great source of advice, too.

Have fun!
Cheers
Catherine

Kretzky

Welcome from another BC'er about 350km west of you.
Finishes? definitely CA imho & it's really not difficult.
Pricing your work, depends on your clientelle & your sale location but many work on 2.5 to 3x material costs & adjust up/ down for locality & what the market will bear.
Have a great day!
ps. there's a recent thread on pricing here
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f22/how-do-you-price-your-pens-106070/

Last edited:

glen r

Welcome from Edmonton, Alberta. I think you will find that CA is used by most of the people on this site. If you search for CA or pen finishing you will find how others apply their finishes but remember that each suggestion is the one that works for the specific poster and using one or a combination of suggested application methods will likely be what you end up with. There are very good tutorials on turning pens which I would suggest that you have a look at. I happened to look at one a few days ago and although I've been turning for a few years I tried what the tutorial indicated and am very much more pleased with the result in comparison to what I was doing.

mmayo

Welcome from currently chilly sunny California. CA finish is what I have found works likes most folks. Sometimes tedious, but very smooth, shiny and hard as can be. Good light!

Top Bottom