Hello from Baytown, Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhawth25

My name is John Hawthorne and I have been turning for about 4 months. I have been lurking on the site and have learned valuable information. I believe the most important thing I have learned is not to use friction polish.

The reason I got into pen turning is my doctor said I needed to find a hobby to relax. First, I was going to do other type of woodworking and could not find information to get started. I was in a meeting and this guy pulled out a pen from his briefcase and someone noticed it and he said he made it. That caught my attention and I did some research and thought it would be fun. Three days later I went to Woodcraft and purchased a Rikon midi lathe. I took a class at Woodcraft and I was hooked.

My wife cannot believe I have stuck with it this long since I tend to jump from project to project.

I have attached some of my favorite pens. I cast the acrylic pens myself. Since this is supposed to help me relax, I do not use any formula to cast except the number of drops of accelerator. I just go with the flow.

Attachments

• IMG_6261_b.jpg
    IMG_6261_b.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

itzapen

Hi John,
Welcome aboard from Houston Texas. Great start so far Keep up the great work. If you need help, there are a lot of us close by who are happy the answer questions or give some insight. Happy turning.........

Clyde
"Lifes not about avoiding the storm, it's learnin' how to dance in the rain"

Last edited:

ronwiltx

Hello from South Texas. I'm Ron Williams and I began turning pens about 15 years ago. Most of my pens go to businesses who buy laser engraved antler pens for Christmas gifts to clients. The rest of the year I experiment with different woods (mainly Mesquite, Cocobolo, Bois D'arc), rifle cartridges and acrylics. Now that I have found you guys, I'll hang around and learn all I can.

Ron

renowb

Welcome from Spring. My son used to race at the raceway there in Baytown.

Top Bottom