Heat Pump Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

Our heat pump decided to kick the bucket, and of course it did so just after we decided not to renew our home warranty. So, we're stuck footing the bill for the install, and that means I want something decent, but something that won't break the bank. We need to do something SOON, because summers in Washington can be brutal, and we're already starting to heat up. We have quotes from Sears to install an ESM2x18 air handler, and an H2H2x18 condenser (I think these are Kenmore, but I'm not sure, and the quote doesn't say). Their quote is much higher (about $850) than the second company, who is going to install American Standard units numbers 2TEC3F24A1000A and 2A6H2034A100A. We're still trying to get a third quote, but depending on how long it takes us to catch up with the third people, we may be forced to choose between these two. Does anyone have any experience with Kenmore/American Standard heat pumps? Any recommendations of one over the other? We're (obviously) inclined to go with the American Standard because of the cost savings, especially since we only plan on being in the house another 1 to 2 years, but if there's something obvious that we're missing, I'd sure like to know.

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodbutcher

I would stay far away from Sears. Trane, Rudd and Carrier are solid models. Installed properly they can last for years. I would suggest the mid line units for each of the 3 listed. The cheap ones have few if any controls and the high end pieces are complex and difficult to diagnos and repair. In any event insist on a liquid line drier installed in the liquid line returning to the evaporator. They will tell there is one inside the unit and there is. problem is it is undersized and when you reverse from heat to cool or vise- versa any contamination will be pumped back through the system where the same filter will catch it again. Unless it clogs the expansion valve or catches in the reversing valve. Either way you will be down for awhile and possibly medium sized bucks. Hope this helps,
Jim

DWK5150

Defiently NO to Sears. GO with a Trane or Carrier or Liebert if you can find one but beware very expenisive and actually they are more commercial units.

smoky10

Sears Kenmore manufactures nothing, everything they sell is made by a different company. Their heat pumps may have been made by Trane, Carrier, Rudd, or GE, but if it breaks you have to go to Sears to get the parts because the manufacturer and the Kenmore parts, even though they are the same, carry different part numbers.

Rifleman1776

Heat pumps are designed to fail one day after the warranty expires. My parents had three in a row that went belly-up almost to the day on warranty expiration. Can understand not wanting to break bank. But I reccomend a ground-source water furnace/ac. That's what we have and the operating costs are so minimal we celebrate the electric bill everymonth. If you plan to stay in present house ten years or more, it will be very worth the investment.

JimGo

Thanks for the feeback guys. Sears was pretty much out of the question due to the extra cost anyway. Got a quote from a HomeDepot contractor, and he came in only $100 or so above the other quote, and he's using Trane. I know American Standard owns Trane, but apparently there's a difference in the quality between the two lines.

Thanks again!

alamocdc

Jim, I was always very satisfied with my Trane units and as long as I can afford it, I'll use nothing else. Having said that, Carrier, Rudd and Liebert are pretty good systems. This is not just my opinion, but that of a long time friend who owns a Heating and A/C company in West Texas. He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

DWK5150

Jim, You cant really go wrong with Trane stuff as they are pretty good. I work with Trane, York, Carrier, Hakon, and Lieberts on a daily basis as we have 9 buildings to maintain and you will be ok with a Trane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom