Mulberry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtparso

I swaped some Mulberry with some of the folks. BTW I think I got the best of the deal. I have not had time to turn any of the wood I got. Has anyone turned anything with it yet? Just curious.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />IIRC I was one of the recipients of the mulberry, Ron, but I haven't been able to get to any of it yet. I'll make sure I post it when I do.

Please do. I have a couple big hunks in the garage that were given to me. I don't even know what the worked wood looks like.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I've got a ton of it in my garage also. My daughter and SIL lost the tree in Rita last year. So far I've only turned one vase with it. It's got a beautiful yellow color when first turned and turns a rusty orange after a time. The piece I turned was green and it warped considerably.

elody21

True native red mulberry is a beautiful yellow color. There are ordamental mulberry trees also that are a lighter color and the wood is stringy. Native mulbery is considered a hardwood and it is very hard when wet.If turned wet, like any hardwood it will warp. We cut and processed an entire hugh tree one year that came down in the storm and went through several chain saw blades. As it drys it becomes a rusty,or sometimes a golden brown. When totally dry it is very nice to turn. The problem is waiting several years for large pieces to dry. I have made a few pens with it and it works up fine.

ilikewood

I've turned several pens in it as well. It reminds me of Osage Orange, but not so yellow. When I was in Mich a few years ago, I went to a lumbermill and bought some Mulberry boards already dry, so I didn't have any problems with moisture. It won't brown if you get your finish on before it oxidizes. I still have a pen laying around that I made 4 years ago in Mulberry...still looks the same.

rtparso

Here are some examples. The darker bead was exposed to the sun, CA finish on all
<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200551154917_Tanned%20test%20beads.jpg
<br />

200551154117_mulberry.jpg
<br />

20055723847_Mulberry%20Atlas.jpg
<br />

Ron Mc

I thought Mulberry was Osage Orange. Is this not the case? If not I need to make some changes on my site.[:eek:)]

woodman928

Ron
Osage Orange is Hedge, Boise d' Ark, and Hedge Apple. These are a few common names. There are a few more but this is a family site. Very common in Kansas when its dry and well seasoned it will make sparks come off the blades on the chain saw but boy what a fence post it makes it can also cause reactions like poison Ivy so watch it. [:)]
Jay

53Jim

I was given some mullberry last year. 2 weeks ago I gave a pen to the lady who gave up the wood. She was amazed that something so beautiful could come from that @#$%^& tree.

SORRY, I forgot to get a picture. I wish I could have gotten more of that beautiful wood. I love the yellow coloring.

KenV

Mulberry is pretty widely distributed around the world. I have seen some turkish mulberry (yellow) and Gilmer Woods has some bulgarian mulbetty listed on the web site (also yellow). Texture is finer than Osage Orange and Canary wood on what I have had in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom