Handle for Ice Cream Scoop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Smith

Jim Smith

I am planning on making an ice cream scoop for my daughter-in-law and would like to use Curly Koa for the handle since her family is from Hawaii. I was wondering if there is any special treatment needed to protect the wood since it could find it's way into a dish washer or at the very least hot soapy water. Is there any special finish I need to do or perhaps use stabilized wood for the handle?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pensbydesign

i'm not sure the dishwasher is any good for the wood i always tell the customer to hand wash.
as for the finish i been using enduro with general finishes cross linker seems to hold up.
i apply 4 5 coats on the lathe then buff on the beall buffing system after about a week to let i harden up.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Most finishes will not hold up to the dishwasher. Koa is used all the time for bowls and plates. Just make sure what ever you use to finish the handles is well cured, not only dry and it will work fine. Do you have your Koa picked out yet?

shagnasty

Even if you have it professionally stabilized, the dishwasher heat will weaken the epoxy and the granules will act like a sandblaster. I did one in cocobolo and they put it through the wash and its ruined. Collar came loose and the brass is all discolored. Only thing you could do is use some g-10 / g-11 or micarta, and then pin the collar and shaft.

Larry

David Keller

I'd probably use an oil finish like walnut oil. Nothing is really going to hold up to the dishwasher, and an oil finish is easy to refresh/repair.

Craftdiggity

Jim,

Whatever you do, do NOT let them put it into the dishwasher. I can tell you that it may not hold up to even one cycle in that kind of heat. I always recommend hand washing with mild soap and drying as quickly as possible.

Top Bottom