Gorilla Glue How...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krudwig

I've been using gorilla glue to glue tubes and segmented piece lately and like the way it holds, but how do you get it off you? It's a lot worse than ca at least you can sand it off but so far I've had to wear gorilla glue for days. Any tips other than wear gloves which I did wear last time and the gorilla glue ate through the glove !!!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Wear better gloves...:rolleyes:

or switch to 2 part epoxy. I liked Gorilla Glue myself for a while, but if you get a blank with any cracks, voids or wormholes in them, the expanding nature of gorilla glue will fill those voids with their crappy look before you can fill them with shavings and CA...

Ed McDonnell

Nitrile gloves will work and they can be found pretty inexpensively.

I use alcohol to clean up. Works for me.

I prefer the white gorilla glue. Faster cure and seems less messy (although that could be my imagination).

Ed

monophoto

1. Use it very carefully - don't get it on your fingers
2. Wear nitrile gloves
3. Acetone will clean it off (before it dries). After that, you wear it.

paintspill

i realize that we all sound like smart alecs but truth of the matter is the best way to deal with it is to not get it on you, gorilla glue is a moisture cure and as the name implies it uses moisture as a curing agent, i.e. the moisture in your skin, on top of that it sticks to just about everything and once it cures its damn near bullet proof. we make moisture cured coatings at my work and i've 'worn' the stuff for weeks. a good reducer for it is p.m.acetate. but probably won't do much once its cured.

edstreet

gorilla glue has no strength in the foam yet when you compress it the bond is very strong. The key here is to clamp the 2 areas together so they are unable to move.

Krudwig

Ok, let's recap, wear gloves, don't get it on you, and get it off before it dries. I was wearing the nitrile gloves in 5 mill they started melting to my hand. I didn't think to try acetone but it was on too long before I tried to clean up. So I guess the only way to get it off when dry is wear it off? Someone mentioned white gorilla glue. I've seen a wood glue in the stuff is that what you were calling white?

alphageek

Former Moderator
I tried that glue for a while... Gave up and went back to just CA or wood glue.

There was a couple of reasons I hated that glue, but the "black" fingers from it was one of the most annoying.

Ed McDonnell

Ok, let's recap, wear gloves, don't get it on you, and get it off before it dries. I was wearing the nitrile gloves in 5 mill they started melting to my hand. I didn't think to try acetone but it was on too long before I tried to clean up. So I guess the only way to get it off when dry is wear it off? Someone mentioned white gorilla glue. I've seen a wood glue in the stuff is that what you were calling white?

Hi Larry - Here's a link to the gorilla glue white. It's a urethane glue (like the original gorilla glue), but it cures white and faster to cure:

Gorilla Glue - Dries White

Look for "white" and "2x" on the bottle.

I've spent 20 minutes gluing in tubes with nitrile gloves and I've not had the gloves melt / dissolve. Maybe it's time for new gloves? I'm going to go out and put some on a glove and let it sit overnight.

Acetone will work for cleanup, but alcohol isn't as tough on your skin. Give it a try and see what you think. Clean your fingers as you go. Don't wait until the stuff is foaming on your fingers.

I've noticed that if I go for a long swim in my pool after working with glue (any type), it will start to peel off my fingers once they start wrinkling / pruning. Maybe a good finger soak will work for you.

Everyone's skin is a little different. I know people who swear they glued themselves to their lathe with CA. I've gotten stuck, but never to the point where I couldn't pull my finger away (and I didn't lose skin). Maybe I've got an acetal gene or something.....

Ed

Ed McDonnell

The white Gorilla glue will still turn your fingers black... or so I was told by someone...:rolleyes:

I've not had black fingers happen. Then again, I clean off my fingers (with alcohol) when I'm done gluing (and while I'm gluing too). Not sure I want to test what will happen if I leave the stuff on me overnight.....

Ed

Krudwig

I'll promise you the black fingers are bad and the glue under the fingernail won't come off. I guess I'm messy but I had it everywhere but I learned my lesson. If I had done that much gluing with CA the fumes in my shop would have been unbearable. I bought a mask to use while using the CA because it made my throat sore the first time a did a large glue up of blanks. I'll wear two pair of the gloves next time, keep the acetone close and be neater next time, I've used the two part epoxy it worked ok too but is messy also if your prone to get it everywhere , not cheap either.

toddlajoie

I just want to remind you to think about your blanks and remember that this glue EXPANDS as it cures. I've had it ooze out of cracks and fill in voids, and at that point there is little you can do to get it out of there without damaging the blanks in some way. That was one of the main reasons I stopped using it, as I started using more figured and less solid wood. It doesn't take much of a hole (sometimes just a really big pore or small bug hole) for the stuff to squeeze out. That was the main reason I switched to epoxy. With a little practice it's no less messy, and the amount we use doesn't mean a significan increase in price. I bought a set with I think 2 8oz bottles and I've used it for well over a year, while the Gorilla Glue will go bad in the bottle once it is open, the epoxy does not nearly as quickly. It does work very well, especially if your drilled hole and tube have a little slop to their fit. Like most of the glues we use, while turning, heat will soften them.

Top Bottom