Glueing blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Two-part 5 minute epoxy, unless I'm gluing multiple kits at the same time. Then I'll use 15 or 30 minute. I never use CA or polyurethane glue.

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 58

Painfullyslow

I routinely start working with an epoxied blank after only 15 or 20 minutes. Haven't had one fail yet. Knock on wood. (See what I did there?)

I assume you are using the stick-fast brand that you posted a picture of? I haven't tried that one yet.

Also, are you talking wood to wood, wood to metal, acrylic, etc? Also, are you doing this on a relatively simple 90 degree segment or something more complicated?

I would love to be able to start something 20 minutes after I set the epoxy.

WriteON

Medium CA. If I feel speeding up the process I spray each end with accelerator and go for it. As for which to use CA or epoxy…. No rules… use whatever works best for you.

qquake

I assume you are using the stick-fast brand that you posted a picture of? I haven't tried that one yet.

Also, are you talking wood to wood, wood to metal, acrylic, etc? Also, are you doing this on a relatively simple 90 degree segment or something more complicated?

I would love to be able to start something 20 minutes after I set the epoxy.
I'm talking brass tubes to wood or acrylic. I don't do segmented pens.

Painfullyslow

Wow, I need to learn to read better. All this time I thought this was in the segmenting forum.

For tube to blank adhesive I just use thick CA unless its a segmented pen or a wood that is prone to blowouts, then I use epoxy.

farmer

5 minute epoxy means you have 5 minutes of working time, after that the epoxy is setting up .
But cure time can as said by painfullyslow can be 12 or more hours .
1 hr epoxy the epoxy has 1 hour to soak or wick (working time ) into wood/plastics or bone/leather.
and its about 24 hour cure time if being used for bonding .
For epoxy finishes can be up to 5 to 7 days depending on how many coats are put on .

Some inlays I CA in depending on the inlay but then everything is getting soaked or covered with 1 hour west systems marine epoxy for the sealer/finish .

I don't use 5 minute epoxy. because I think one hour epoxy wicks into the wood farther for a better longer lasting bond .

Top Bottom